• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

columbian vs golden

jcrunk

whats the difference??? ive seen animals i thought were columbian be labeled golden and vice versa.... whats the deal??? im just confused

Utahraptor

5 Year Member
a columbian tegu can either be of the black variety or the gold variety, though they are all the same species. It's not really two titles; the color is just a way of specifying the the kind of columbian tegu it is.

Utahraptor

5 Year Member
a picture would help. knowing that it is mostly black doesn't really tell us much about what species it is since Argentines can come in a black and white variety.

Is it black with a little bit of yellow/gold coloration? If so, yes it is a colombian. Black with a bit of white? A picture will tell us.

Another way to tell is if the animal has one or two loreal scales (scales on the side of the face between the eye and nostril). One scale indicates a colombian, two scales are on argentine. That being said, some anomalous argentines have only one loreal scale.

Hope that helps.

KSTAR

5 Year Member
If I'm not mistaken jcrunk golds and colombians are the same and people just label them different due to color...I've saw colombians be a nice brown/gold color and they call them gold or Colombian gold tegus!? Lol...it's a bit confusing and I'm not bashing anyone but because alot of ppl don't know much tegus sometimes they confuse others and it happens in pet shops lol and I saw a pure 100% Colombian black and white tegu be labeled as an argentine black and white and priced at $300! So it's not you jcrunk...whenever I'm undecided or confused I turn to tegutalk :lol: but as for me if I'm not mistaken they're the same tegu so hope this helps

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Utahraptor said:
a picture would help. knowing that it is mostly black doesn't really tell us much about what species it is since Argentines can come in a black and white variety.

Is it black with a little bit of yellow/gold coloration? If so, yes it is a colombian. Black with a bit of white? A picture will tell us.

Another way to tell is if the animal has one or two loreal scales (scales on the side of the face between the eye and nostril). One scale indicates a colombian, two scales are on argentine. That being said, some anomalous argentines have only one loreal scale.

Hope that helps.

that is one way but it is not always 100% accurate, bobby hatched some out last seson with just 1. the best way too tell is by there patterns argentines have solid bars columbians dont also argentines have the line that runs from behind their eyes on down their backs columbians dont.

KSTAR said:
If I'm not mistaken jcrunk golds and colombians are the same and people just label them different due to color...I've saw colombians be a nice brown/gold color and they call them gold or Colombian gold tegus!? Lol...it's a bit confusing and I'm not bashing anyone but because alot of ppl don't know much tegus sometimes they confuse others and it happens in pet shops lol and I saw a pure 100% Colombian black and white tegu be labeled as an argentine black and white and priced at $300! So it's not you jcrunk...whenever I'm undecided or confused I turn to tegutalk :lol: but as for me if I'm not mistaken they're the same tegu so hope this helps

that is right it is just a color difference, often times i see it as a ploy to get misinformed ppl to get one thinking its a argentine!

jcrunk

just watch the forum and ill put some up soon... the 2 i got r siblings but do not look alike but they do still have the gold color, but theyre only a lil over 12in .. so theyre still babies ya know??? one is realy spotty and the outher has really defined lines but not like a b&w

KSTAR

5 Year Member
it sounds like theyre colombians but a picture is the only way to be sure...so as soon as the pics are up we can see...

jcrunk

this is bender i hope hes a boy
SU1HMDAwNTUtMjAxMDAzMjUtMTU0NS5qcGc.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu