• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

depressed iguana

BillieJeAn

my iguana has been deppressed since i had to bring him in when the temperature started to drop :/
he's eating fine, his temps are right, and he isnt loosing weight or anything. but he's usually active and moving around, and interacting with me. now he just lays on his log. i even opened his door to let him come out and roam around for a while, i left it open all day and he didnt even offer to get out.
any advice? :/ i dont wan't him to be depressed, should i spice up his home with some vines and plants? anything?[size=large][/size]

RobK.

BillieJeAn said:
my iguana has been deppressed since i had to bring him in when the temperature started to drop :/
he's eating fine, his temps are right, and he isnt loosing weight or anything. but he's usually active and moving around, and interacting with me. now he just lays on his log. i even opened his door to let him come out and roam around for a while, i left it open all day and he didnt even offer to get out.
any advice? :/ i dont wan't him to be depressed, should i spice up his home with some vines and plants? anything?[size=large][/size]
[/quote

I bet because he's not getting the same amount of UVB and he's just feeling a little sluggish . What do you have for lights ? You indoor lights just can't compare to natural sun light . I bet he will adjust in time . I feel the same way when winter hits here , we get almost 400 MW of UVB right now where we live and in the winter i bet its only 1/5 that . even people get depressed when the UV level drops , i know i sure do .

BillieJeAn

okay, that makes a lot of sense, i cant seem to remember what his light is called, but i made for sure when i got him that it was uva/uvb. and its almost brand new, i used it for about a week and then he went outside for the summer and there was no need for it. he seems to be a little better today, moving around more:)) i was so worried at first.

another question i would like to ask, is there anyway to tell how old an iguana is? i bought him from a previous owner and they didnt seem to know.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
This is a green iguana? They are sensitive to change, so it could be the habitat change has him just a bit stressed. Sometimes you can tell age by snout to vent length if he has had avergae growth.

BillieJeAn

laurarfl said:
This is a green iguana? They are sensitive to change, so it could be the habitat change has him just a bit stressed. Sometimes you can tell age by snout to vent length if he has had avergae growth.

Yes he's a green iguana. That's what I was told when I got him. Though he's more orange/ brown. Lol.
But he seems way better now:)

How exactly do you tell? He's about three feet long but he has a chunk of tail missing thats finally JUST starting to grow back.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu