• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Dumb Question

ierowe

5 Year Member
Ok I have a totally dumb question about heating pads for a herp. Does the pad under the substrate or under the tank on the outside? Outside does not seem very efficient. Under the substrate seems like the moisture would be damaging to the pad. I am getting a tegu for 2009 and am building a little cage for my tegu.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://tametegu.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://tametegu.wordpress.com/</a><!-- m -->

Thanks for your response

homer

5 Year Member
heat pads are made for under glass tanks, i wouldnt put it in the tank. since your building a wooden enclosure i wouldnt worry about a heat pad just make sure to keep a basking spot warm enough for the tegu, and the cage temps right

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
You do not need an under the tank heater for a tegu no matter what kind of a cage you are building, a basking light is all they need as long as its UVA and UVB. If it doesn have UVB then you also need a tube light like a reptisun or reptiglo 10.0 or 5.0 depending on tegu size and tank size. But again I do not recommend an under tank heater at ALL for any kind of tank for a tegu...dangerous and not needed.

ierowe

5 Year Member
I guess I wont be doing the pad lol. I will be putting in a 4' uvb bulb. Thank you for the advice/warning.

grapesofwrath

5 Year Member
Hey, you mentioned monitoring the temps till July when he arrives..... That's a long time to be monitoring temps. You are going to decrease the life expectancy of your bulbs! Just set it up and check it for a couple of days and make adjustments where necessary. Just an idea...

ierowe

5 Year Member
The only bulb I am worried about is the uvb bulb cuz it cost so much other bulbs no big deal. It gets hot! here in the summer. uvb bulb not needed for heat just uvb.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan