• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

EMERGENCY help please

Alex_villela_83

Hey guys, I'm really kinda panicking her because I just noticed my tegues "big toe" it twitching when he is sun bathing or just not walking. I don't think it can be MBD because I feed him calcium every three days along with ground turkey and he even has a uvb lamp over his basking area... Maybe it can be MBD what do you guys think? What should I do?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hey guys, I'm really kinda panicking her because I just noticed my tegues "big toe" it twitching when he is sun bathing or just not walking. I don't think it can be MBD because I feed him calcium every three days along with ground turkey and he even has a uvb lamp over his basking area... Maybe it can be MBD what do you guys think? What should I do?
Feed him calcium daily and make sure the UVB light is just high enough that he can't knock it. The strength of UVB drops sharply once it's moved away from a close distance, which has to do with strength if the bulb.

Most keepers in this site maintain their tegus indoors primarily and can advise you on the particulars of the product.

Lavin45

Normally with MBD the twitching is in major muscles like the thighs, back ect. Has he been having normal sheds ? Sometimes if a couple sheds don't come off of the toes/fingers it can start to build up and eventually cutt off the circulation to the extremity, causing twitching of the appendage struggling to move blood.
HOWEVER if you are still worried it may be MBD i recommend going to your local reptile shop and picking up some liquid calcium. You diffuse it in water and the let them drink it, most the tank it, moisten substrate with it, give warm baths with some if the solution in the water. Also try feeding rodents if you can, the extra calcium in their bones is good too.
Hope it all works out

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Normally with MBD the twitching is in major muscles like the thighs, back ect. Has he been having normal sheds ? Sometimes if a couple sheds don't come off of the toes/fingers it can start to build up and eventually cutt off the circulation to the extremity, causing twitching of the appendage struggling to move blood.
HOWEVER if you are still worried it may be MBD i recommend going to your local reptile shop and picking up some liquid calcium. You diffuse it in water and the let them drink it, most the tank it, moisten substrate with it, give warm baths with some if the solution in the water. Also try feeding rodents if you can, the extra calcium in their bones is good too.
Hope it all works out
To that end, the older the mouse the more calcium until they're too old.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu