• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Fight for our rights!! Petition!

Reptile_fever

Help sign this petition i ask ,beg! For our sake & future generations to come! I do not own large snakes,but this is just a step in the door! it's like the 1st $ you earned is the hardest,it's like this law, the 1st is the hardest! Tell your friends ,cousins,brothers,sister family! Heck the world! We have rights & its time we all make a stand & speak or i'm afraid we may all lose!So please fill out this petition! Sitting on your @**, doing nothing wont help unless your signing this,so please...... Thank you from a reptile lover to other,Thank you! by the way pardon my speech,this is very upsetting :(...
http://www.change.org/petitions/over-turn-the-python-ban-over-turn-the-python-ban-from-1-17-12#

Reptile_fever

Does anyone have interest here on this!? Don't forget this might be a lope hole for them & just like "burmese" are being a pest tegus are a invasive species also in Florida!No imported fish,mammals,reptiles or amphibians,might be safe! Just saying,im not trying to be rude but the facts don't lie!

Dana C

I know how concerned everyone is and I am too. On line petitions often don't get much credibility because of the obvious abuses that can and do occur. The best way of communicating your concern is to either email or snail mail your congressman. While the ban on Pythons is more of a directive issued by the Department of the Interior, Congress can exert significant influence.

More importantly, we should recognize that irresponsible owners are the to blame for this, not the government. Sadly, it appears that far too many of these reptile owners and their animals live in Florida. In fact, in Florida, anyone can have shipped in almost any kind of reptile or dangerous mammal that they want. If you look on Fauna and other web sites for venomous snakes for sale, or on the boards for discussions about cobras, vipers etc, most hail from Florida. In a large way, Florida is partially to blame for being an "open door" state and now the door has partially been shut.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
there are a few facebook organizations that are helping with the law. usark is one of those people, if they get 25k letters/emails to obama we have a chance of at least getting this law reviewed and revoked.

Dana C

I still don't think petitions will do anything. What would get some attention is an individual letter writing campaign and proposals from the Herp community which would demonstrate that we are concerned not just about not being able to import some species but also a concern about how irresponsible releases are threatening the Florida indigenous flora and fauna. The suggestions coming from the Herp community would have to thoughtful, and doable. They might have to contain measures to license or at least grant permits to people wanting to own, freed, raise and import certain species to insure that people know what they are getting into and what their responsibilities are under the law. There will have to be remedies and penalties for breaking the law.

Don't get me wrong, I am against censorship, against the limitations of my freedoms, against the infringement of your freedoms and rights. The Department of the Interior folks aren't the bad guys here. Importers who brought way to many inexpensive Pythons to market in this country, and ignorant buyers whom know nothing about snake husbandry are. Not that many years ago, anyone could buy a Burmese for less than $50 and retics were the same. In other words, like in other examples, the pet trade has shot itself in the foot once again.

Kimmie

signed ^^

please sign more then just that if u are on that site it helps and many animals suffer.

UFtegu

I signed and posted the link on my facebook page to spread the word some. It's not that i ever plan on having any of those snakes, it's the fact that this is the first step towards more restrictions.

Hybrid

I already signed. Also sign the one from White House. Ill get the link for you when I get home.
EVERYONE, including people who don't keep them should sign. First they will some for the pythons and boas, eventually it will be the large, "dangerous" lizards! Tegus are fine then right? NO, they will use psuedoscience! They will say a study has shown that they will spread across America and breed and destroy our native fauna or some other bull crap. All reptile keepers must ban together. Eventually all we will be able to keep is corn snakes and anoles if we keep letting the retards with there psuedoscience to gain ground.

Better systems need to be used. Like where you need a permit or have your pet microchiped. The ban actually does nothing to the pythons in the glades. They mostly came from a zoo after a hurricane

Draco D Tegu

Dana C is right. What will happen with this online petition is that it will be.........ignored by and large. It has indeed turned from a useful tool, to one that is abused and thought of as non-credible. It is too easy to call the credibility of an online petition into question.

He is also right in that the most effective thing you can do is to barrage your public officiates with actual written letters. Most senators and legislators will NEVER see an online petition. They will however see actual mail that comes into thier office(s). From some of them you will even get replies.

Now, I'm not knocking anyone for signing it. I used to believe they worked too. However, I've gotten more done with a few moments on the phone or a hand written letter, than I have by randomly signing online petitions.

People like PETA and HSUS and other animal rights groups are relying on petitions like this. They know that these petitions are bogus, but if the public "feels" they are doing something about it, they will not do what is really needed, which is to break suction from computer chair and keyboard and TALK to the powers that be. Meanwhile, they're doing just what everyone else should be, which is to do more than give lip-service to something that won't work.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Draco D Tegu said:
Dana C is right. What will happen with this online petition is that it will be.........ignored by and large. It has indeed turned from a useful tool, to one that is abused and thought of as non-credible. It is too easy to call the credibility of an online petition into question.

He is also right in that the most effective thing you can do is to barrage your public officiates with actual written letters. Most senators and legislators will NEVER see an online petition. They will however see actual mail that comes into thier office(s). From some of them you will even get replies.

Now, I'm not knocking anyone for signing it. I used to believe they worked too. However, I've gotten more done with a few moments on the phone or a hand written letter, than I have by randomly signing online petitions.

People like PETA and HSUS and other animal rights groups are relying on petitions like this. They know that these petitions are bogus, but if the public "feels" they are doing something about it, they will not do what is really needed, which is to break suction from computer chair and keyboard and TALK to the powers that be. Meanwhile, they're doing just what everyone else should be, which is to do more than give lip-service to something that won't work.

YEP!!

Diesel

Hmmm I have a feeling that this won't pass. However, i somewhat agree with the law. Not in the way of banning everyone in the U.S. but i think they should take smaller steps and set limits. Like you have to get permits where you take a test on the reptile care and do a process to obtain said species. Then those who don't really care about the snakes and just want to show off for their friends or whatever reason for their impulse buying, wont be able to do it as easy or at all. Those who love their reptiles will be willing to go through the process of keeping them. Then less snakes will be released into the wild. I don't think they should ban them altogether. I don't know just throwing out my opinion.

got10

Dana C said:
I know how concerned everyone is and I am too. On line petitions often don't get much credibility because of the obvious abuses that can and do occur. The best way of communicating your concern is to either email or snail mail your congressman. While the ban on Pythons is more of a directive issued by the Department of the Interior, Congress can exert significant influence.

More importantly, we should recognize that irresponsible owners are the to blame for this, not the government. Sadly, it appears that far too many of these reptile owners and their animals live in Florida. In fact, in Florida, anyone can have shipped in almost any kind of reptile or dangerous mammal that they want. If you look on Fauna and other web sites for venomous snakes for sale, or on the boards for discussions about cobras, vipers etc, most hail from Florida. In a large way, Florida is partially to blame for being an "open door" state and now the door has partially been shut.

No . online petitions DO work. You just have to get them out to the right people . People who VOTE not the wino on the corner picking his nose , But they do work.

Draco D Tegu

I would have to disagree. What determines people the right people or people who vote? I know a lot of hard working people who are registered to but don't bother to vote because they feel it's a waste of time........But yet, they sign online petitions and people think they're the right people because they're not wino nose pickers LOL
:)

Diesel said:
Hmmm I have a feeling that this won't pass. However, i somewhat agree with the law. Not in the way of banning everyone in the U.S. but i think they should take smaller steps and set limits. Like you have to get permits where you take a test on the reptile care and do a process to obtain said species. Then those who don't really care about the snakes and just want to show off for their friends or whatever reason for their impulse buying, wont be able to do it as easy or at all. Those who love their reptiles will be willing to go through the process of keeping them. Then less snakes will be released into the wild. I don't think they should ban them altogether. I don't know just throwing out my opinion.

Ok so there are a couple of points that are wide open in this ..... Some people are not the best test takers, yet they ARE great herp keepers. By the criteria you're suggesting, if they fail the test, they wouldn't be able to have the herps, despite being the best of keepers.

As far as permits go, I could go with that, as long as permits are affordable and within reach. The reason I say this, is that this is still the USA and everyone should have a shot at equal opportunity to enter the herp world without having to take out a second mortgage to do so :) A little exaggeration there, but not really, with as expensive as permits are on SOME things.

As far as impulse buying goes......that's how a good many of us got into this hobby in the first place. Mine started with a little ol' CWD that I thought was too cute to pass up, although I had already learned some about them before I found him. Today years later, I'm still in the hobby. Impulse buys are not ALWAYS a bad thing. What is a bad thing is improperly trained "professionals" in pet shops.

I also disagree with limits. Think about it a bit. What one person views as excessive, say such as having five reptiles, WE view as being a normal herper. Who would determine what the limits would be? Again, setting limits on freedom is never a good thing. If I have 50 (which I do not) beardies, and they're kept immaculately, why shouldn't I have them because the public feels I should have only 1? But yet, here's joe blow with 1 beardie and he's within the law, yet the poor thing is living in a cage that is so filthy that even roaches won't live in it.

(I'm sorry but I'm increasingly seeing the label hoarder applied to anyone that has more than one of anything, and it's time to nip that in the bud before WE are given that label. And setting limits is usually how this sort of things STARTS)

What I DO think is fair is do it much like we do with birds. All reptiles or animals deemed dangerous should be either banded, tattooed, or microchipped and the information kept in a public database that can be accessed accross state and local lines. This way, should an animal be released into the wild, when caught it can be traced back to the owner and those people can be punished. This would put the responsibility back where it belongs, to the individual and not the innocent responsible herpers.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Diesel said:

You have a feeling what won't pass?

Draco D Tegu

Diesel said:
got about 5% of what i was saying there bud.

Well perhaps it would help if you elaborate because I touched on all of your points. What exactly am I missing that you said? :)

PS....I'm the wrong gender to be a bud. But you can call me buddette next time.:p

Reptile_fever

Draco D Tegu said:
Diesel said:
got about 5% of what i was saying there bud.

Well perhaps it would help if you elaborate because I touched on all of your points. What exactly am I missing that you said? :)

PS....I'm the wrong gender to be a bud. But you can call me buddette next time.:p

Lol :blush:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029