• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

First tegu

LEWIS

I reserved a giant from varnyard last week. (Male) I'm thinking about get another just so he has a friend. I was thinking a red female from him also. Good idea or no? I've done a ton of reading on Tegus but would like some input on the actually owners.
Thanks

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Congrats on your deposit! You did the research,so i'm sure your aware of the cage requirements for these guys right? What if by some chance you have to separate them? Which you may have to do. Do you have the space for 2 8x4 cages? Also remember just how much one eats (a lot).

Its usually best to start off with one IMO,then see how that goes.And if you can handle that one , get another. Don't really rush it,take it one step at a time. Tegus take a lot of time,space and money.

LEWIS

Thanks for the info. I use to breed black rays and it was around $60-$80 a month. What is the the average price people spend per month on one Tegu?

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I probably spend about $100 a year for each of my tegus but they're kept outside most of the time so no electrical costs in my case.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Bk when i had my tribe i think i spent maybe $20-30 a month that included food, supplements, treats and electric bill, and i had 4 tegus + about 14 other reptiles, food will be your biggest expense cuz these guys can eat lol, thank god for winter

got10

reptastic said:
Bk when i had my tribe i think i spent maybe $20-30 a month that included food, supplements, treats and electric bill, and i had 4 tegus + about 14 other reptiles, food will be your biggest expense cuz these guys can eat lol, thank god for winter

the winter is the reprieve time for the wallet

LEWIS

Not bad at all!! They will be going under my fish tank which is 8x4 and the filtration is in the basement which keeps the temp under the tank 82 degrees all the time with good humidity. Just need a uvb and a hide but I probably wont get my giant for like 8 months

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
got10 said:
reptastic said:

:) Only if they hibernate :rolleyes: or even slow down.

@ Lewis hopefully the temps in the enclosure wont stay as high as 82* or you'll need some way to cool it down. Make sure to have it up and running for some time before you get the tegu to make sure temps won't be too high for it. The cost of food varies with what you feed and where you get it from.

LEWIS

Bubblz Calhoun said:
got10 said:
reptastic said:

:) Only if they hibernate :rolleyes: or even slow down.

@ Lewis hopefully the temps in the enclosure wont stay as high as 82* or you'll need some way to cool it down. Make sure to have it up and running for some time before you get the tegu to make sure temps won't be too high for it. The cost of food varies with what you feed and where you get it from.

What should I have for temps? Are you talking cooler for hibernation?

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If it's 82* more often than not under the tank I'm wondering how that will affect the temps inside the tegus enclosure once you add the lights and humidity. Depending on the type of enclosure you have I don't see it getting much cooler. Which is why I suggested having it set up well before you get the tegu to make sure the temps won't be too high.

During the day 80 or so is fine as long as their substrate is cooler underneath and they can get away from it if need be. With it already set up you'll also be able to work out what the temps will be at night.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tegulover310