• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Flourescent Lights

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I've heard its not uncommon for tegus to stay up their first winter. My 3 males have all been awake through the winter. However, if they want to go down they will. It's natural for them.

The reason I had to use a CHE was because we had moved and the tegus enclosures are now in the garage. If your enclosure is inside the actual house, apt, whatever, you more than likely will not need one.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Their native zone cools off at night, very similarly to what we see here in North America. I'd encourage any Tegu owner to watch Temps from Northern Argentina throughout the year. Just keep in mind their seasons are opposite of ours.

Typical "room temperature" is fine for an overnight temperature, therefore no night heat is needed...

I use fluorescent UVB for my Tegu in the winter months (summers outside). It is very important to have the bulbs close to the Tegu, but providing this requirement is met they work fine. Though MVB are also great UVB sources and can be placed farther from the animal which is often practical.

iLovePanda265

Thanks for all the great info guys, I think I might still get the CHE because the cage is in my basement and since I'm in Ohio it can get kinda cold down there, and the temperature is never as warm as it is up stairs (especially not in the winter).

RobK.

I just took a 3.5 hour round trip to salt lake city today for a couple 48'' zoo.med 10.00 tubes.
iLovePanda265 said:
Thanks for all the great info guys, I think I might still get the CHE because the cage is in my basement and since I'm in Ohio it can get kinda cold down there, and the temperature is never as warm as it is up stairs (especially not in the winter).

I have mine also in the basement . . We have a high of around 95 F in the summer and in January it drops below zero for about a week , as low as - 20 .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fanderson9214