• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

fun waterworks

I read that tegu's need their water changed daily, which i can understand, and that lead me to thinking about how i could change the tegu's pool regularly. so now i have questions.

i first considered having a hole in the tub with a watertight screw-top that i could unscrew, drain the water into a bucket, and cary the bucket to where i can pour the water out. now that brought two problems to mind. firstly, how can you work the tub into the enclosure? by this i mean how would you successfully put a tub into a terrarium by cutting a hole into the floor and sticking the tubs drain through, but at the same time not allowing any substrate or water from the terras floor to get out. hope that makes sense.
The second problem was how much water would be used if i had to replace a large quantity of water every day. So i thought why not use a recycling system and just replace the water every week or so. I'm not sure how long would be a healthy amount of time, but if the water is constantly being filtered and replaced that would mean less work for me and less water being used. would that be possible?
lastly, how do people replace the water in there tegu's water tub? I imagine someone somehow lifting a big tub of water and trying to carry it but ending up spilling it all over themselves and everything around them like in a cartoon, then the tegu makes a cute condescending expression and some cheeky comment.

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
I go with simplicity. Large rubbermaid container or large cat litter pan, easier to remove, dub, scrub and disinfect and replace water again. Its important to have a water supply that can be easily cleaned so that you dont run into bacterial issues. I dump, clean and replace water tubs 1 - 2x a week but also offer a smaller heavy ceramic dog dish with fresh water daily. Rarely do I see my tegus soaking in their tubs and they mostly drink out of the small bowl when I offer it to them fresh. I believe good humidity in the cage lessens the likelyhood of the tegu soaking or swimming in the water tub or pool.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu