• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

gold tegu hiding after tail loss

woeisleticia

So basically, I got a baby gold tegu about a month ago, and everythings been going fine except for the fact that hes incredibly aggressive. the other day I got into his cage to change the water and he went absolutely crazy, was bouncing all over the tank and he must have gotten caught on something because about 3 inches of his tail came off. :( and ever since then he has not come out of hiding. its been about 3-4 days, Should i be worried? should i just leave him be or not?

Jackie & Hellboy

Leave him be he needs to heal. Extra stress will not help him. Lizards store their fat in their tails so you just need to make sure that he's well fed and given plenty of time to let his tail regrow. 3 inches isn't going to cause him to starve since he probably has most of the tail base left I hope? Keep the humidity and basking temps up high and he should heal up remarkably. If he doesn't come out for another couple days and you know he hasn't eaten maybe then just check on him and see if he'll come out for a bit, then maybe he'll eat after you let him bask and be alone for a bit.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Oh no. That's terrible :(
I would check on him to make sure he's doing ok. Obviously you want to approach him slowly and with caution so you don't scare him.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu