• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Green Iguanas in the pet trade.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
This post is just my opinion.

I wanted to start a conversation about Green Iguanas as pets. I would like your thoughts and opinions on this as well.

My thoughts are that they should not be in the pet trade for a few reasons. If you think of how many are sold in the pet trade each year, verses the amount of adults that are around, this would make one wonder how many parish each year.

It is common knowledge that the pet trade offers these for very cheap prices. It also usually comes with a spiel about how easy they are to care for. Or how tame they are. This is far from the truth. I have seen some that were quite tame, I have owned quite a few as well. Most of the ones I have had were rescues. The biggest part of them was not at the least part tame. But most only get more aggressive with time, Iguanas tend to get mean around the age of three, the time they start getting sexually mature. I have seen adults that were tame as babies, only to turn very aggressive as they mature.

They are also not for the budding herper. They are far from easy to care for. This along with the size they can obtain makes them not the best choice for new keepers. Then this issue of lighting and feeding, they require special needs. I would say all of these reasons add up to the very high mortality rate in these animals.

This said, if the budding herper are not experienced enough to keep and care for the green iguanas. Then this leaves the advanced herpers to keep them. I do not know to many advanced herpers that have a desire to keep big greens, there are some out there, but I do not know of many.
Give me your input and thoughts on this.

AB^

5 Year Member
Well,

I suppose I have an opinion on this matter being that I have worked in pet stores and currently help out with a wholesaler.

Let me start out saying that I dont view any reptile as a "pet"
I know others may feel differently but I dont see any reptile as
"liking to be held" "craving my attention" "liking me" etc etc etc.
This is just a bunch of anthropomorphic spew IMO

Now back to Green Iguanas (Iguana iguana).
These reptiles are farm raised by the tens of thousands every year to be exported to the United States. Pet stores stock them like they are going out of style. These are truly right there with nile monitors as being among the worst species for beginning hobbysts.
Bobby has a very valid point about the amount of animals sold vs the amount of adults you see. Sadly this is also the case with Varanus niloticus and Varanus exanthematicus.

I can speak from first hand experience dealing with people who wanted an iguana as a pet because every knows "iguanas are great pets" Sometimes I was lucky enough to have a large aggressive (defensive) Iguana that had been dumped on me at the shop to show people what exactley they were getting into. Most people do not want to spend the money to set up the animals properly. They think this $20 lizard will be cheap and easy to maintain because they are such a mainstream item in shops.

When I worked at a pet store I stopped ordering iguanas all together because I knew there were better options for begining hobbysts. Which more often than not if you're looking for a pet in a pet store you dont know much to begin with. My boss was not sympathetic with my reasoning and told me we had to carry iguanas. Well my bosses orders were ignored. He did not appreciate this at all and this went on for a few months "Kevin we're out of iguanas order some" "ok I'll get right on it" finally he had had enough and ordered them himself behind me back when I was off. Well I was pissed.

I spent the remaining amount of time that I worked there talking people out of buying those 12 iguanas and cutting huge price breaks on animals/supplies that were more suited to "newbies" (which angered my boss greatly) So even though with out selling iguanas I had more than doubled the income they made off of the reptile department vs last years sales, they still insited on having iguanas because they "are easy to sell" which really meant "sell them an iguana and a set up, if it dies they'll come buy another"

anywho I had a lot more to say but frankly I dont get payed for tegu talking and must return to work :shock:

greentriple

5 Year Member
I think this argument can be made for most reptiles in the trade. How many cute and tiney boas grow to 10 feet?

How many savanah monitors end up in the trash or burried in a back yard in shoebox?

How many dragons get full grown as compared to the thousands of babies filling cages around the US?

I asked people on this site to post pics. of grown Tegus and got less than a handful. How many make it to 8 or 10 years of age?

A grown monitor can tear of a finger or more, yet there is little call to slow their sales.

Florida has an infestation of Burmese pythons, nile monitors and who knows what else... iguanas?

Husbandry of a reptile should not be based on how "tame" it gets, but with a desire to understand, carefore and enjoy an animal. This is true for any "pet", dog, cat, hampster or goldfish.

My experience is that most buy reptiles because they think their "cool". Many buy carnivours because they like to watch them kill live prey, just look at the tegu or monitor or python or boa videos on "youtube", it's about carnage.

So, what do I think? Well in the past 5 years I've seen more monitors, large constrictors and tegus in "specialty" stores than iguanas. In fact unless I go to a large chain, it's hard to find one. I raised one for over 10 years and she was "dog tame". I've helped many people with theirs and I've only found a few to be problematic and that was more the fault of the owner than the lizard.

Like any pet, and more so large exotic reptiles, ownership take reponsibility, maturity and an uderstanding of what is at hand. It should not be about impulse, or wanting to be cool or carnage. But I expect if this were true the reptile trade would be smaller than it is.

That's my 2 cents.

AB^

5 Year Member
Ok now I'm back :lol:

ok so.....

There were countless times people brining in moderate to very large iguanas that they didnt want to/couldnt care for any longer.
I even once had a "manager" take in a very very "tame" 4' female iguana that the owner could no longer care for. Upon coming to my former work one day I see this thing. Everyone was like "it's great and so calm" I was like ok let me take a look at our newest addition. I pull the animal out of the cage to check her out. Well what do you know. I picked her up and no struggle at all. To the less experienced (as is very common in this hobby) the iguana seemed very "tame". Upon closer inspection there were many dark scale patches which were an immediate indicator to me of what was making her so tame- A severe mite infestation that had frankly sucked the fight out of her. I tryed to treat her,but it was too late she died only a few days later.
So much for our new "tame" iguana.

Other experiences I have had dealing with iguanas were people bringing in horrible cases of MBD and the owners knew nothing of vitamin/calcium supplementation and UVB lighting.
People knowing nothing of the horridness of glass tanks with screen tops which let out all the heat and humidity causing problems for their pets. People even keeping iguanas in wire cages.
Iceberg lettuce was a favorite food of many people and didnt want to hear that it was basically water and fiber for their animal and did it now good.

anywho the point of this rant is Iguanas suck as "pets"
They shouldnt be allowed in pet stores. I am fully aware that farm raising iguanas provides some economic well being to such places as el salvador and colombia but at what price??? They will continue to be bred only to die in the US as long as there is a market for them. :?

greentriple

5 Year Member
AB - most of what I just read in your two posts had more to do with bad husbandry than iguanas are bad pets. Or with the problem of one stop pet stores to the problem of iguanas.

I agree most who go into a one stop store don't know what they are doing, these stores are good for somethings, but selling animals is not one of them. This is true for buying iguanas or puppies or birds. These store are mills with profit in mind. Yes there are caring and informed people who work in these shops, but often they don't last.

When I purchased my iguana it was from an iguana breeder. It was more than the $30 PetCo price and he was available for questions and education. Every iguana I saw in his collection was a great pet and everyone I met who purchased an iguana from him was doing their best to raise a good animal.

Without question iguanas, and for that matter any large reptile or animal, needs special care and consideration and may not be the best idea for a newbie. But again I think it's as much if not more a factor of the owner than the animal. I can't tell you how many macho boneheads walk around with pitbulls attached to thick chains that are pulling so hard the animals nearly choking.

Less known herps attract more expereinced owners and thus better results per capita. Boas, ball pythons, iguanas and even bearded dragons are over sold and maybe over bred for the pet trade and I'm cofident in saying many more don't make it past their first year as healthy animals than do.

G

Green iguanas are a big issue for me because I own a young Savadorian Blue Jeweled Iguana and it is no cakewalk. Do I believe they should be taken out of the pet trade? That depends on what you consider the pet trade.

Iguanas have flooded the pet market and are definitely not an easy animal to tame or at least maintain. Unfortunately people who have had success flood the internet with pictures and videos of their success with little information on the hardships of husbandry of this animal.

My iguana came with some parasites (worms) that I was not aware of. It cost me a huge amount of money and hours and hours of research. I think that any reptile is not an easy captive but iguanas (like Niles) are by far one of the most difficult captives. Simply put, they are disheartening to own for anyone who doesn't know what they are getting into.

They are moody, flighty, and often unpredictable. I believe this is due to the fact that they are not bred, but rather farmed. They are produced in such mass quantities that no bloodlines can be traced nor a tame pair introduced. The only reason Bobby's tegus show up tame at your door is because he has loved them since the day they broke out of their egg and have no interest in hurting humans, but have understood a simple symbiotic relationship.

Iguanas to me are like owning a dinosaur, it is very cool, but it is no easy task. I spend tons of my time trying to educate people on the responsibility of owning reptiles. Iguanas are large and difficult and unless you are really a person who wants to try to tame a dinosaur, you should not be allowed to obtain one. Here in Sacramento, the pet stores do not sell them. Only a few reptile stores sell them, and even then, they do not like selling them, and they expect a full proof that you are prepared for them.

They are by far the most expensive and difficult to raise. Apollo (my B&W) is nothing like the iguana, but I spend ample time with both in an effort to raise them as equals in my house.

To conclude my opinion, I say that iguanas should be regulated by the local herpetological society. The government has no say but state legislation should be in charge of the trade, sales, and housing for any and all reptiles. They are too many dead herps that have no chance, all for the show of a dollar. I have a B&W, an iguana, an aleministic ornate horned frog, and a cat, and they take up all my time. People need to understand and research the idea of being a herpetoculturist, before they decide to delve into a hobby that will consume the person you are. If you are not obsessed with the well being of your animal, then you do not deserve one. How many rescue reptiles are out there? Tons. And the sad part is that not only are we rescuing the adoptable animals we are rescuing the animals from pet stores. This is a major problem. We just spend over 100 bucks on supplies for the Pacman, just because his living conditions at the petsmart were unacceptable. The lady then had the guts to say that he was her baby and she was the one who cared for him and we'd better take care of him. Then she had the audacity to question the supplies I was buying. We cannot save them all, but I will be goddamned if I'm not gonna try.

RehabRalphy

5 Year Member
Ill get to my point very fast.

Iguanas are not the best choice for a beginner or even an intermediate reptile.

I adopted a very large male green iguana from Bobby Hill last year.

So far, he has had a bacteria infection which I had $600 in vet bills.
Hes been stolen and came back with major nose rub that healed, but also a laceration on his tail which turned into dry gangrene, back to the vet for about $200 in bills. They require massive amounts of food and space. Supplements are needed to keep your iguana healthy.

So lets face it, I payed $800 for lets say a $20 lizard. Adults are worth nothing at that, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

I love my iguana to pieces, but that does not mean they are fit for everyone...

Dragon_girl

5 Year Member
From what you all say i totally agree, but i dont think its just reptiles. its any bird that needs special care. Reptiles are probably worse but in my opinion birds come in second. People think reptile and birds are like cats and dogs and they treat them like it. When they are not, they need special handleing, special food, fresh food (like good healthy veggies for the both) Its sad but i think people should do there research before they get a pet like that. Becuse some birds depending on the bird and how it was handled and the breed. Can be quite agressive, or some even very possive over there owners and attack any one who comes near. My female cockatiel liberty, is mostly tame but that is becuse it took alot of work and she still has a ways to go before she is fully tamed. Same with my dragon, if i hadent spend the time with him he would not be tame like he is. And ive know ive made a few mistakes with him but i do, reasearch and try to fix any thing wrong.

-mel

p.s. i keep him in a glass tank, but i keep a towel on most of the screen during winter, is glass tank bad?

G

Dragon_girl said:
p.s. i keep him in a glass tank, but i keep a towel on most of the screen during winter, is glass tank bad?

No dear, that was just a general statement he made. Your beardie doesn't want much humidity. Lol. He'll be fine.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I agree that there are many more reptiles that suffer the same fate, but I guess the reason why I said iguanas is because there are many more of them then the others that are mentioned.

I will say this, it is not 10s of thousands, and it is closer to 100s of thousands each year. Most of these are imported by one source, I will not say the name, but I will give you a hint. He owns a popular reptile supply that sells a reptile bark product with a picture of an iguana on the bag. Most of us know that iguanas cannot be kept on this stuff, it is well known as (impaction in a bag). However, it is made by him to sell, how better to do this, than by using a picture of the most popular reptile in the pet trade.

I will not even get into the other product known as calcium sand.

Magik

5 Year Member
I have heard many horrific stories from "Iggy Owners" over here the worst I ever haerd was a man in his twenties bought an iguana and raised it to be a healthy adult but the whole time he was raising it he let his pitbull use the poor animal as a chew toy needless to say when a close friend of mine "rescued"(he went to the mans house knocked him out and took the iggy)he had a horrible time just treating the injuries the Iguana jad sustained that was about a year ago and until recently he always looked almost black from stress however he is starting to get some colour back in him he had so many injuries and is so distrustful of people except for the guy who rescued him.The man who originally owned the Iguana was at besta complete scumbag Im not going to say anymore on the subject s It is upsetting me........

Magik

5 Year Member
Forgot to mention my brother took the pit bull off the man also and is a loving dog now even with other animals just goes to show how cruel some people can be!!

Kazzy

5 Year Member
Iguanas can make great pets if taken care of and handled properly. Now, I do go into great detail with customers at the pet store I work at about the care, and the risks if not handled/cared for properly. The typically change their mind after they find out Iguanas can reach up to 6ft and have the jaw power to take off fingers. I typically suggest a leopard gecko or a ball python for most.

Nero

5 Year Member
I remember in the mid/late 90s when I was a teenager everyone was getting Iggys, but like 3 years later everyone was getting rid of them. I never owned one and really have no interest of getting one because the maintance and upkeep is quite challenging. I just hope Tegus dont go through that phase were everyone wants one then 2-3 years later they just dump them.

Kharnifex

5 Year Member
Quick fix: Minimum Iguana Price $150

if iguanas costed 150 buck for a hatchling, then they wouldn't be a disposable lizard. i don't care how it's done, tax iguana sales and have all the money go to lowering cigerette taxes. or give it to the schools. just raise the damn price!

same for savannahs.

same but less for chinese water dragons. maybe 75 bucks. and make em buy backgrounds for 3/4 sides of their tanks.

Magik

5 Year Member
Well were I am Iguanas aren't the cheapest reptile to buy but yet they still get a very rough time!(Just a side note I have an American Akita they aren't the cheapest dogs over here but yet people have still used them in dog fights)I think it goes beyond price.Its how readily available they are also and i think that when "most" iguana owners buy their first iguana they are overwhelmed and simply stop caring for the animal.So it has allot more to do with availability and willingness to stick by your decision to buy a large reptile.At the end of the day you can read care sheets and see people on the internet with their healthy reptiles get all the information about the animal in question,then go and buy one to find out you havnt got a clue!It is down to pet shops at the end of the day who they get sold to and as we all know there are alot of unscrupulous pet shops and reptile dealers out there who do not care.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It's terrible here. I rescued an iguana from a lady on Craig's List last March. At least she was sensible enough to find a home for it. However, the husband wanted to release it because he thought I was going to use it as snake food. Anyway, this 'free' iguana cost me $120 in vet bills the next day, LOL! He had a massive skin infection and the beginnings of MBD even though he was only a 45g hatchling. He should have been 90g, and months later, he is 185g.

She originally bought him in Miami for $5. People round them up and sell a bunch cheaply. She was told to feed it carrots and then kept it in an aquarium with another ig. He had no nails left from scratching the glass, broken toes and the tail tip missing. Poor kiddo! He's beautiful now. I can't believe the black skin turned green and that there is no scarring from the infection.

Myself, I waited 7 years from the time I first thought about igs until I felt comfortable getting one. Even now, I pray that our daily taming sessions pay off in the end and I don't have a wacko iguana for 20 years!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus