• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Having trouble getting 110 degrees

ReCursiveDescent

Hello all,

I am having trouble getting a hot enough basking spot for my new 9 month old b/w. I am using a powersun 160w that is about 19-20 inches away from the surface and a used 50w zoo med basking lamp that is about 10 or 11 inches away from the surface. The powersun spot gets to the high 80s low 90s and the zoo med spot gets to mid high 90s low 100s. However, the ambient temps of the hot and cool side remain ideal and he seems very active and alert.

In order to achieve higher temps should I just reduce the distance from the light? I can't safely raise the surface toward the zoomed because that light is inside my enclosure. I can raise the surface toward the powersun, but I don't want to have him too close. I don't know old the zoomed bulb is so perhaps it needs to be replaced?

Thoughts?

Thank you,
Al
edit: my temps were a little wrong

Jstew

Sometimes it's better to use multiple smaller wattage bulbs to Acheive a higher and wider range to bask. Lowering your current bulb is an idea but play around with the lighting your options are limitless

Tannaros

Thoughts?

What material is your basking spot?

In my opinion it isn't of utter importance that you reach exactly 110 degrees. You can also compensate by using a material with lower thermal capacities, thereby transferring more energy to your tegu. You can try various types of rocks, or wood.

ReCursiveDescent

I'm using a stone (not sure what type but there are no sharp edges) for my power sun spot - it's pretty thick so it gives some elevation. The zoomed spot uses a log that came with my cage but half of the spot is also just the cypress mulch.

Jstew:
I will look into getting a second small bulb because I do need more surface area for the zoomed spot. Thanks!

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
I just have a 160 powersun which gets it to 105 on one side and the other side of the basking rock has the 75w halogem flood which gets it to 130º

from Samsung Galaxy S3

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Boy. Okay. So I disagree with all of the above methods. No surprise there. I use cluster lighting with three smaller wattage(65 curently) bulbs lined up in a row about a foot(give or take a couple inches) off the surface(a large, flat rock). It achieves higher temps and allows the animals to heat their entire bodies at the same time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus