• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hello and general questions

fireimp141

Ok so I've been just reading the forum takin in info the last month since I got my argentine b&w, named Tyson. Got some general questions and just wanting to know if I'm doing this right, figured this would be a good place to ask since y'all are full of endless good info. I've had savs burms pythons beardies all that, just first time tegu owner (and lovin it)

Age and gender:
Got him(?) from someone that didn't know age or gender. He is approximately 22.5" now and his bottom jaw seems to be bigger than most of the female pics I've seen. How can you tell gender and is it possible to guestimate approximate age? I know he hibernated for 3 months with the past owner. Other than that clueless.

Cage:
For now till I get around to building a custom he is in a 55 gallon, 48"Ã?Æ?ââ?¬â?18"Ã?Æ?ââ?¬â?18". Using cyprus mulch as a substrate which he seems to like, except for he keeps injesting it. I now have read and understand not to feed in the cage for the multiple reasons including food to hand recognnition and impactation. Which is what I believe happened to him recently. He hadn't poo'd in like 2 weeks despite his large food intake. So I read around and soaked him and it only took about 2 minutes and he discharged something our 13lb cat would be proud of, and there was some good size pieces of mulch in there. So no more cage feeding. As far as lighting heat and moisture, I have multiple sources. I have a 150w red basking bulb that stays on 24/7 over his hide which he seems to like a lot. Also a 10.0 Reptisun UVB bulb right next to that and a 12" all spectrum or whatever hood light at the other end of the cage. I have a large water dish for him to soak with a desert heat pad under it and a little more than half the cage. Displaces great moisture and gives him a nice warm bath ;). And of course daily misting

Food:
I give him a large variety of food all covered in D3 enhanced calcium supplement. Includes ground turkey and crix as the staple, hard boiled and scrambled eggs, pinks, chicken breasts, salmon, blueberries and grapes are his fav fruit, and some shrimp he loves. Anything to add or remove from the diet?

Other:
I bath him twice a week where he usually poo's and I handle him an hour or 2 after work before feeding time.

Any negative or positive input is greatly appriciated. And thanks for letting me into these great forums. Sorry about all the typing, lots of dead time at work to contemplate and get my thoughts down in writing.

kaa

5 Year Member
First off, welcome to the forum. You should get some pics up as soon as possible. so do I.

As far as the size and sexing, I would say it is too small to sex by jowls, but you should be able to feel down by the vent. If it feels smooth, it is probably a female, but if you can feel two bumps on the sides of the vent, it is going to be a male.

The Cage
Save yourself some time and money, and either build two cages, or one big enough for at least 2. you can't have just one. I think the rest is good on the cage, make sure the basking spot is 110 though.

Food.
Variety is good, but get rid of the D3, that is a vitamin that has to be absorbed through the skin from the uvb bulb. And too much oral D3 can be harmful.

Aside from that, I would say you are doing good.

fireimp141

Ya I've been trying to get some pics up but my internet is down. I'm doing this on my phone lol. And as far as building one I was planning on it. Once we get a house I'm gonna submerse it in the wall. Did home remodeling and building stuff for like 8 years. And good to know on the D3. Once question... the lamp over the hide, the hide is an exo-terra xl ceramic type hide and it gets super super hot on top. He doesn't lay on it but it keeps him nice and warm inside... any feedback on that?

Jefroka

5 Year Member
Turn your lights off after dark, no need whatsoever to leave a 150 watt IR on 24/7 you will inevitably dry everything out including your tegu!

Remove any large chunks of substrate, tegus will eat them! Doesn't matter if you feed in a seperate enclosure either, they will still eat substrate.

I agree 100% about 86ing the D3 calcium because the man says so (Bobby!)

Cody of Progeckos was absolutely awesome to deal with & great prices.

Here's a link to his site: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.progeckos.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13&products_id=60&zenid=6f68b2c26318b1816be09547372d7ead" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.progeckos.com/catalog/index. ... 47372d7ead</a><!-- m -->

Other than that I believe you will make an excellent tegu keeper as you are seeking answers to the best care possible for your tegu. You should be commended for that!

...Jefroka

Mr Critter

5 Year Member
Hello & welcome,I agree with kaa ,get some calcium without the D3,& try to use calc. carbonate not the crushed oyster shells.& get yourself a temp. gun great investment.You might want to do some research on the red light i never used one & dont know to much about it but have read some negative things about them . Good luck. (If you go to varnyard-herps-inc.com everything you need to know is there. thats Bobby Hills site & care sheets the owner of this forum)

fireimp141

Ok so 86 the D3, large substrate, and lights after dark.. and as far as super hot, I'm a mechanic and can handle a lot of hot stuff and this is still pretty hot to the touch. I think my lead mechanic has a temp gun. Ill snag it from him on Monday. As far as turning the light off at night, won't that render him vulnerable to much colder temps?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
tegus can handle cooler temps than most other reptiles i wouldnt worry to much about that! also try to add some cod liver oil and beef liver to the ground turkey it helps with shedding and problems pooping (among other benefits)

read more about it here(just scroll down):
http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20

Jefroka

5 Year Member
fireimp141 said:
Ok so 86 the D3, large substrate, and lights after dark.. and as far as super hot, I'm a mechanic and can handle a lot of hot stuff and this is still pretty hot to the touch. I think my lead mechanic has a temp gun. Ill snag it from him on Monday. As far as turning the light off at night, won't that render him vulnerable to much colder temps?

Bobby Hill, owner of this site keeps the vast majority of his tegus outside & they hibernate for up to seven months at a time.

If you are keeping yours indoors you will never ever have to worry about temps getting too low to adversely affect your gu.

...Jefroka

fireimp141

Ok, and are you talking about beef liver or liver oil? And where can I pick some of this stuff up? Is it a liquid or a meat? And should I alternate between that and calcium supplement every other day, or just once a week? And is there a certain brand of calcium supplement y'all would recommend? Sorry about all the questions just wanna make sure Tyson is gonna be in optimum health.

Edit:
Someone mentioned IR not being good? I use that just for his basking spot. Is this acceptable? And also should I keep his basking spott over his hide or somewhere else?

Thanks a lot guys

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
they are seperate you can find the beef liver at most grocery stores and the cod liver you can find at just about any store i get mines at walmart for like $3 last about 6 mos.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
they are seperate you can find the beef liver at most grocery stores and the cod liver you can find at just about any store i get mines at walmart for like $3 last about 6 mos. and they can be fed with calcium supplements. i would reccomend the reptical w/o d3

fireimp141

Yah I just red Bobby's tegu care sheet. Good info in there. Imma go pick up some beef liver and cod oil tonight at wally world. Is the oil in the pharmacy section?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980