• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hello, fellow Tegu Aficionados

PJDoke

[/size][/font]Howdy Folks!
My name is Paul, and I'd like to say how glad I am to have found this site!
I have two female Tegus, Maria & Suzy...who have both laid eggs just a couple of days ago...I am testing the new incubator I bought at my local farmers co-op, to make sure that it will maintain the correct temperature and humidity overnight tonight, and then tomorrow I'm going to gather up their two clutches and put them in the incubator...I tried to hatch some eggs last year, but I was stupid, and did not use an incubator, so all of the eggs failed to hatch---I suspect from a too cool temperature...I did an "egg-topsy" and found that all of the eggs had little tiny baby tegus in them, about the size of the tip end of my pinky finger...I was not very happy with myself for having been so stupid, because only one of my females had laid eggs (38 of them!!!) and it was her very first year to do so...The other female swelled up as if full of eggs, but failed to make a nest, and then never laid any eggs---has this ever happened to any of you?
I did have a male named Pancho up until a week ago, but I had inadvertantly (STUPIDLY) left the door unlocked, and, in his desire to locate more females, he took off after pushing the door open---I am now just plain old heartsick over losing him, and angry at myself for not paying close enough attention---and for the fact that he is going to die an awful death---he is most likely going to starve to death, because he has never had live prey items in his life...I was lucky, in a manner of speaking however, that he had impregnated both females before I lost him.
I had gotten VERY attached to him in particular, because he had the most laid back disposition!----like a big old "scaley cat"...
Anyway, I now have to start all over again, if I am successful at hatching their eggs this year----and then I'll have to wait another 3 or 4 years before this clutch of lizards will be old enough to mate!
...UNLESS I can find another grown male Tegu to mate with my females next year!
I had planned to make this a sort of quasi-business enterprise 4 1/2 years ago, but without a mature male (as I said), it'll be 4 more years before I'll get another clutch of eggs.
Anyhow, I've gone on much too long with my introduction as it is, so I'll shut up for now...But I welcome any input, advice, or helpful comments from anyone who might be interested in doing so...
I thank you very much, and I look forward to learning from all of you folks who are more knowledgeable than myself!
(which is probably most of you!)
Sincerely, Paul

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome and congrats on the eggs. Sorry to hear about your male. Where are you from?

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome and thanks for coming :) we'd love to see pics of your Gus when you get a chance. I would also be interested in where you're located and what has been done to try and find your male.

If for what ever reason that's not possible, depending on how selective you are about your pets and breeding. Unfortunately finding another B&W male even of breeding age or size these days,.. shouldn't be that hard.

PJDoke

james.w said:
Welcome and congrats on the eggs. Sorry to hear about your male. Where are you from?

Thank You James, for the welcome...
I gathered up 34 eggs today, or rather, yesterday, and I have them
incubating in the incubator at 87 F, and 82% humidity, so I'm looking forward to getting some babies this year----hooray!..Still haven't found my male...I imagine the worst for him, unfortunately, between the foxes, armadillos, raccoons, bobcats, hawks, etc...I'm still hoping he might somehow come back, but...
Anyway James, I am from NorthWest Arkansas, in the Ozark Mountains, 10 miles south of Fayetteville, Arkansas---How about yourself?
Thanks again for making me feel welcome, and I'll post news on the eggs as the situation warrants...
Thanks, Paul
Bubblz Calhoun said:
Welcome and thanks for coming :) we'd love to see pics of your Gus when you get a chance. I would also be interested in where you're located and what has been done to try and find your male.

If for what ever reason that's not possible, depending on how selective you are about your pets and breeding. Unfortunately finding another B&W male even of breeding age or size these days,.. shouldn't be that hard.
Hi Bubblz,
Thanks for the welcome! I'll try and get some pics posted in a few days or so, of my two females & their eggs perhaps as well...
I live in NorthWest Arkansas (Tornado Alley, it seems), in the Ozarks----about 10 miles south of Fayetteville, Arkansas, near Devil's Den National Park, in a very rural, heavily forested area...So, that has really hindered any searching that we can really do...But we have run ourselves ragged looking for him the best we could.
I'm afraid, however, that some sort of predator will kill him, because he has no experience outside of his pen...
I would love to find another male, you know, a mature male, to replace Pancho---but I had REALLY gotten attached to him---he had a very mellow, gentle personality----so even if I CAN procure another male, Pancho could never actually be replaced!
So, you don't think I'd have any trouble finding a sexually mature male B & W Tegu? I was thinking I might even have RENT a male next season---And, I had even considered artificial insemination, but, I really doubt that very many Tegu breeders do things that way, but who knows?---I know that they do that with other animals all the time, so...like I said---Who knows?
Well, thank you again for making me feel welcome, Bubblz!
Sincerely, Paul

PJDoke

Hello Folks,
I have a hell of a story---
After 3 weeks missing, my male Tegu was found fifteen miles away from his home in West Fork, Arkansas, when reports of an "alligator" roaming around in downtown Prairie Grove, Arkansas, began to light up the police dispatcher's phone!
Well, the police searched for two days before my big male Tegu, Pancho, was finally located, resting serenely on the Florist's doorstep

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me