• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hello

josephz

Hello! I do not actually have a tegu, but I would love to get one. Now, I have only done basic research, but I plan on researching for a few more months before I do anything extreme. However, I thought that it would be a good idea to join a forum to learn more about tegus. So far, my research has been going fine, but I have one question still that is hard to find the answer to. What is the smallest type of tegu? I have room, and I do want a big lizard, but I would like a smaller one so that my family would be more likely to agree. Is there a kind of tegu where the males don't get bigger than 4 feet long?

snibborsirk

Columbian tegus (golden and B&W) are the smallest followed by blues. Although the argentine B&W and red males can get a little larger than 4ft, they are usually much calmer and tend to make the better pet.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome! Snib above summed it up. To add, blues are more apt to be inbred than others that in turn Coke with problems a lizard ought not have, and a keeper ought not have to face.

Perhaps, consider a small monitor species.

josephz

Thanks! However, I do have one more question. Is a tegu an okay first reptile? I do plan on doing a lot of research, but I don't know if I should start with something smaller like a bearded dragon, as I have seen people talking about them being better to start off with. I'm thinking maybe I should start with a beardie and do research on tegus for the first few months I have him. Is this a good idea?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ask all you want!

Actually, the best, in my opinion, first lizard, and often a subsequent obsession (!), is the crested gecko. Room temp., eats prepared goop, handleable, affordable, attractive, communal, and decent size if size-constrained accommodations. I'd put them up against any!!!!! This, coming coma green iggy and Argie keeper!

josephz

Crested geckos are pretty cool. However, I've been researching beardies for a while, and I've heard some cool stories about them. Do you think they could also be considered starter pets, because I'd love to get one :p

I do have experience with cats, fish, amphibians, etc., but I've never had a reptile before. However, I was at the pet store because I needed something for my red eyed tree frog, and I thought the bearded dragons were so cute, lol! I really wanted a tegu, but I think I'm probably rushing it. So, while the crested geckos are pretty cool, I think I might prefer a beardie :p.
Any advice on them that you can give?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Part of your question is easy to answer. No matter how easy to keep, if you're not interested in the species don't get it. So, forget about cresties.

The more challenging question is how much work is worth it. Cresties easy pretty much, but not interesting to you. That's OK. Beardies are interesting but how hard to keep? Not difficult IF you have UV light, cricket/roaches, veggies, and heat. Then, you're golden. I like that you're asking good questions. We're here to help anyone make good decisions on their choice and/or care.

josephz

The other thing is that I am still interested in tegus, but I'm worried that I need experience with another reptile first. Do I need other experience as long as I do a lot of research? If my family does decide they want a tegu as well, they probably aren't going to let me have anything else. Same with the other way around. If I get a bearded dragon, probably can't get a tegu.

EDIT: also, could anyone tell me how big a full grown tegu is in comparison to a cat? If it is bigger, how long does it take them to grow that big?

OEFVet

The other thing is that I am still interested in tegus, but I'm worried that I need experience with another reptile first. Do I need other experience as long as I do a lot of research? If my family does decide they want a tegu as well, they probably aren't going to let me have anything else. Same with the other way around. If I get a bearded dragon, probably can't get a tegu.

EDIT: also, could anyone tell me how big a full grown tegu is in comparison to a cat? If it is bigger, how long does it take them to grow that big?

Joseph,

I am not to experienced with Tegus compared to everyone here, but I can shed some light as to them being a starter pet. I had bearded's and other little reptiles before I went into the military, there I wasn't allowed to have them for obvious reasons. When I got out (last year) i spent some months doing research on what I wanted. I came across Tegus and new instantly that I was gonna get one. I did further research and then ended up getting an Argentine B&W (I highly recommend one) Dec 29th, 2015. It had been years since having a reptile, so it was almost like starting fresh. I don't see a problem with you jumping right in to a Tegu because I essentially did the same and have been fine. Make friends with some people on here, especially Walter cuz he'll save your life lol. Before you buy, understand that you WILL NEED an enclosure that is huge. I'd recommend having the enclosure thought of and planned out before the Tegu is purchased. I didn't have that planned and am regretting it now. My little man is 2ft and stuck in a 40g breeder because my woodworker was delayed a week (I get my 7x3x3 next week). The first couple weeks for me was full of trial and error with humidity and temp levels, but now its fine.

As long as you have common sense, self-control and awareness, you'll be fine...oh yeah, and the wallet to feed them and supply their enclosure.

I hope this helps from someone close to your level.

Robert

P.s. just a heads up, on Dec 29th, 2015 my little guy was 12 inches...now he is a little over 24 inches. They grow quick as long as you feed them well from my experiences.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu