• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

HELP!! I cant get my new tegu to eat anything! He is a year old

Nick O

I just bought a red tegu. He is about a year old now. The girl I bought him from told me she fed him ground turkey and fruit. Ive had him for 4 or 5 days now and I have tried feeding him chicken liver, vegetables, and tried ground turkey today but he wont eat it. He was very skiddish at first but after a few hours of my girlfriend holding him on the 3rd day hes seemed to get a lot more comfortable. ANY SUGGESTION would be muchly appreciated!!! Thanks. -Nick

SamBobCat

Often times they won't eat for up to two weeks when they are moved from one home to the next. Try feeding him f/t or p/k whole prey like rats. Mine didn't eat and then I got a few f/t pinkies because he's still small and he scarfed those down instantly

Nick O

thank you! I was actually at repticon in fort Lauderdale, fl yesterday and I spoke with a guy who told me the same thing. Im gonna go grab a few pinkys and see how it goes. Thanks again!

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Yup just give him time. All tegus get stressed out when moving to a new home. They dont need to eat everyday like we do, so dont worry. Sometimes they wont eat for a month. But eventually he will get hungry and he will chow down. Just keep offering food

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
As @Aardbark said, give him some time.
Be patient and keep offering him a bit every day. His appetite will get the better of him.
Are you tracking his length and weight regularly?

Nick O

He did eat a little ground turkey a few days ago. But I am not keeping track of his weight or length should I be??

Lilith Delial

If you are that concerned you can try this supplement from Zilla. I buy mine from Petsmart. My male red loves the stuff. I just put a little dab or two on whatever he's eating with it. Good luck!
http://www.zilla-rules.com/products/caloric-supplement-appetite-stimulant.htm
JumpStartProd.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus