• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

help with my dog.

adam1120

He HATESSSS the leash with a Passion lol hell just roll over on his bak and no move lol and he always walks in front of me and always between my lega like tryin to trip me. What can I do to settle him down and get him leash trained? He's a mutt but he's my mutt:D he's a English bulldog/ blue healer. Maybe 8 months

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
have you tried using a haltie? idk how much of a snout he has being a bulldog mix

adam1120

A has a little snout what's would the haltie help? I wanna get him out more he's soo active and loves to play I wanna walk him and take him to parks but he hates the leash soo bad but don't wanna lose him even tho if.we walk hell never go 10 feet away from me that's without a leash.:D

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If a halti doesn't work, petco sells a harness that attaches in the front. This si different than a standard harness. The standard harness attaches in the back and actully can train dogs to pull. The harness that attaches in the front (so at the chest) will stop pulling. It works by everytime the dog walks too far ahead the leash gets tight and will cause the dog to turn around. For 8mos old you might want to take some pup classes. They teach leash walking and heeling which are great ways to help with walks.

adam1120

oo okay ima go look for that today i just got a huge step with him he learned to sit and not jump on me today he learned he will get treat most of the time:D and yea i wanted to get a classe but i live in a small town thats 50 years behind the rest of the world seriously lol so seriously nothing here but stuff for old people lol im talkin about 65 +

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I know the feeling, i live an hour from the closest main town. We dont even have a bar here!!! I think I am one of the four people in my town right now that is over 20 but under 30. It drives me insane lol.

Neeko

It's the gentle leader harness i believe. If he has broad shoulders it should work fine. congrats on the sit, and at least you have the internet so the place isn't boring.

Piercedcub32

Gentle leader is AMAZING, watch the video for proper use and the FIRST time you put it on your dog, you will notice a major difference! When you pull down (short quick motions) the device applied the pressure to the back of the head making the dog slow raise his head to counter the pressure. With a normal leash, when they get ahead of you, the collar applied pressure to the front of the neck and the dog will instinctively pull harder on the leash trying to counter the collar pressure. Its a great tool! USE IT CORRECTLY or it won't work.

adam1120

im look on that leash right now guys thanks and yea all i had to do its give him chicken as treats and he stop goin crazy lol i actually got his collor on him too which he never let me to do it before..

chelvis.. yea lol drives me crazy went from leaving a kinda up and coming big city to a small town big difference but changed my life for better so cant really agrue. i mean we got a little pet store here but hardly worth goin into they seriously buy stuff and up the prices by 15-30 there powersun 100watt is 95$ there 160watt is 120$ all there animals there they got day old food. i mean cool guys but can tell in it for the money and easy job. they waste more than acutally making it seems like it too me

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Just like everything else it takes time,.. you have to work with him. Try different methods to find out what works for you and your dog. I've seen dogs pull with Gentle leaders as well.

A EB and a Blue Healer,.. that's a combination for you,.. got any pics. Healers are very smart and eager to please but EB are pretty almost the opposite. Most are very stubborn but luckily very food motivated. Your best bet may be to use a good treat while training.

You may have to take a step back and give him time to get use to the harness or collar with and with out the leash attached. Make it a good experience by getting him to play while its on. Once he's use to having both then you move on to actually holding the leash with a little traction on the other end. Have a treat in your hand that he can see and smell to get him to follow you while you're walking with the leash.

Start with short distances and for brief time periods in the beginning, no more than 15 min training sessions depending on your dog.

Like I said before it takes time,.. so just keep at it and he'll get it.

adam1120

did all what you said bubblz and he gets it lol idk he acutally did it today he even went for a half the block walk even tho it was 105+ today he took a swim after tho lol it was only a 10 min walk maybe 8 but only did it with a peice of chicken if he didnt smell anything he wouldnt do it. but when it was time to go inside he also refused to go bak in after the walk does that mean he wanted more walkin? he was smelling everything like crazy on the walk lol i let them tho he didnt pee or poop anywhere thank good lol just hope he does it tommorrow:D

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Wow ur local feed store has power suns... lucky we got brood lights but no reptile stuff. Luckly lllreptile is only an houror so away so it works out.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Once he gets into it and puts two and two together,.. that the leash means a walk or just going some where period,.. :p no more problems. He'll do the same when he hears your keys. Mine get excited and run to the door if they hear or see my keys.

Same thing when they see their collar and leash,.. they run to the door then come and sit in front of me so that I can put them on.

I would caution against walking him in such high heat,.. since the asphalt and pavement can burn his pads. When it's 105* outside the ground is much hotter.

We get the same and hotter temps here during the summer and mine only go out during the day to potty,.. then its right back inside. Once the sun goes down, there's more shade in the back yard and or the ground has cooled then they spend more time out.

adam1120

yea thats what i figures so i keep him on the grass i was walkin on the sidewalk:D cant wait for him to understand it fully shoudl i walk him twice a day or once? i was gunna take him in a bit when it gets cooler.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It depends on your dog,.. you have a mix of opposites so it depends on which breed he takes after more in that area. EB with less energy or Heeler high energy. Hopefully he's a nice balance and falls some where in the middle.

If he has more Heeler blood,.. you have your work cut out for you.

adam1120

yea im goin with the more heeler blood i love the guy:D he has ALOT of energy i mean but but hes soo fat he gets tired soo fast lol and starts to puff i think he does like 4 fetches then he rest for like 2 min the hes ready lol

adam1120

yea you should of saw him when he was a baby lol i lost all the pic cus phone broke but omg best puppy ever lol the biggest baby ever but omg the cutest fatest thing ever lol..i cant think of the brand but a good one pay like 35 for like 30 pounds. i did feed him 1 1/2 a day twice a day morning and in the afternoon. but cut it down to like a 1 cup a meal twice a day.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
1 cup twice a day depending on what you're feeding and the amount of calories it has should be fine. Since smaller meals more often is better. Too much weight on pups isn't good for growing bones and developing joints.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980