• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Helpful hints?

Sssnakemom31

Hi! I am a new Tegu mom, and Raffi is a couple of months old. I just got him last week.

Upon advice from another Tegu parent, I have Raffi in a front-opening enclosure, on my desk so that I can have my hand in his cage for him to explore.

Unfortunately - he rarely emerges from his hide!! I hardly see him, and I know you aren't supposed to take them from their hide! He is eating crickets, he has a nice tummy, but other than one small fuzzy mouse, hasn't shown interest in any other foods yet.

How can I work at bonding with him, when he is invisible?!?!

Thanks for any help!!

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would give him a few weeks to settle in, just going in the enclosure to feed, spot clean, and change water. After a few weeks, you can start to spend more time in the enclosure, and start handling him.

herpgirl2510

Took my new guy about two weeks. He was out alot today for the first time for hours. 11-5:30. He is also a terrible eater we have been struggling with it. He did takes some licks of yogurt yesterday and today and few licks of baby food not ideal but it is something. I can relate to the stress of being a new tegu owner. :)

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Funny thing is out of 6 tegus this is the first time i am dealing with this, i know he is still new and needs time to adjust but i am sorta use to my tegus having huge appetites lol, hopfully in a few weeks they will all come around

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
As everyone else already stated just give it some more time. It's great that you're getting your hands in there here and there. It'll help him get used to you more quickly. He'll come out when he feels safe. He's in a new environment with new smells, new people etc. What is your set-up like? How are your temps?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan