• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

HEY! :)

reptile.obsessor

Hey everyone,
im new to this forum thing but thought it would be very useful and i love ollking and hearing about your tegus :)
I recently bought a red argentine tegu from an expo and have done my research but was wondering what the best way to tame them was...
I feed her in a seperate area then her cage but its hard getting her out of her cage some days. do i continue to chase her and she will get use to it?
any other advice would be great since im new to owning larger lizards,
THANK YOU

babyyitslove

Welcome!

I would recomment trying to very slowly put your hand under her chest and encourage her to walk onto your hand. It'll take time... but that should be the first approach, even if it ends in you having to chase her again.
They take lots of time and trust.

Sendream

Spend alot of time in and around her cage not touching her just so she gets used to you and your smell. 20 min a day is better than nothing. We also give our tegu baths and leave our hands in the bath tub for her to climb onto when she wants to get out of the water as a "safety". She's 3 months old but we no longer have to chase her around her cage to get her. She is also fed in a bin. Hth

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Do not chase her around the tank. Let her come to you. Chasing it can cause it to think of you as a predator. Start by reading some of the threads in this post
http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=8526#axzz1bXDdZqsl

Welcome and congrats on the tegu.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu