• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hi everyone, new to tegusd

Deanery

Two weeks ago I purchased a 3-yr old male tegu from a guy going into the Air Force. The day I picked him up he was very friendly and I held him on my lap for the 2-hr drive home. I had a big box filled with cypress mulch and a humidifier going near it. He snooped around for a couple of hrs played in the mulch, drank water, and refused his food. I went in 2 check on him that evening and he had crawled into the sleeve of a big winter Parker coat. I put him back in the mulch box and a few hrs later he had crawled back into the coat sleeve. So I left him there and he has been sleeping ever since. I keep the room humidified and the temp around 70. I live in central va so we have the full 4 seasons so I guess he'll come out of hibernation in mar or apr. My ? is, would it be ok to wake him up for a warm soak? How does one wake up a hibernating tegu? I think I've read every website regarding tegu's in hib. but I have not found any info re: this. I would appreciate any advice on this matter.
Thanks so much.

Deane

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
So you don't actually have an enclosure for him? He is most likely stressed and hiding, not nessicarily hibernating. Sometimes it takes them awhile to adjust to new places and without having a secure enclosure he may be extra stressed. 70 is a little low on the ambient air temp... What is his basking spot temp at?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980