• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hi I'm new here :)

Ebrech

Been looking at the forum for a while, I finally decided to get a tegu after reading a lot about them and watching videos over about 3 years now XD.
Anyway I want to get them from Varnyard when I'm ready(equipment etc)
I still have some questions and since everyone here seems so nice I'm hoping to get the right answer.

So before that, I'm 24 I live in North Hollywood and I have 1 cat and 2 Southern alligator lizards that I had since September.

Here is Misery the cat, we brought her from my grandma's clutch of kitten in Quebec (this is where I originate from) hehe and we flew back with her.
She grown up so quick.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNsc3vnK5Us

And here is my 2 other baby, 1 is a Male and the other one a Female.
This is Big Boy and Drazil :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GoVbXxGjMw

these video are due for an update -_- but they have grown a lot too and here is a recent pictures of them

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So for the Tegu Questions.
Well first where can I find a good Sheet for Cage size and lamps? UVB and regular, to make sure that if I build my own cage I will be certain that they get the amount they need and not too much.. I'm not worried about the regular one but the UVB I'm wondering if I should get those flat and long lamp to make sure every spot get it or the regular bulb do too?

Second question..
Do they hibernate in CA? XD it gets cold here in the winter nights.

Third question..
I wake up at weird hours sometime and I might not be awake to turn the lights on myself is there any light that can switch on at certain time and switch off?
My husband usually turn it on before going to work but in case he forget I would not want my baby tegu to get sick from it.

And thats it I think for now :D thanks for reading and for the replies :blush:

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Welcome aboard, you can look through the forums for more in depth info on building a cage, lighting ect, yep your tegu could still hibernate in cali, the best uvb source are the mvb but the tubes could still work

turtlepunk

yeah the search button is your new best friend =) Theres tons of info in these forums. cute alligator lizards! I have one myself. I found him in my garage!

rrcoolj

5 Year Member
Welcome to the forum!

As mentioned the forum is filled with info so just have a look around. If you are going to use the tube lighting use a reptisun 10.0. The best uvb bulb you can get are MVB(mercury vapor bulbs). They are a little more exspensive but they are better for your reptile and last longer too. I use a powersun on my cage. You can also get a timer from like walmart or homedepot. Just adjust it to what hours you want the light on. My tegu's lights come on at 5 and go off around 2. And a tegu will ususally hibernate regardless of the weather. But it's not something you can control or predict. you just kind of have to watch them and adjust their lightng etc. as needed.

kellen.watkins

There is a really good care sheet on the home page here in the best of tegutalk, that same caresheet is also on the varnyard herpes website written by the man bobby hill :)

Ebrech

Thanks lots of good answer, Looks like Bobby won't have any tegu till next year :( but at least it will let me time to get everything ready in advance. It's very sad if they hibernate though I will miss them Q.Q

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980