• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hibernation Help

ddegatano

5 Year Member
My Tegu that came in July is hibernating. I was wondering if there is anything special I should do. For the first two weeks of august he only came out in the morning, ate a little and then he was gone. Now for the past week there is no sign of him at all. Should I be concerned that he has started hibernating this early? What about the lighting, since he is under the bedding he isn't getting the UVB. What about food? ANy advise or help is greatly appreciated. Thanks to everyone of this forum.
:-D

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
When/Where was it born?

If it was farm bred in South America, as many of them are, then it's internal clock could very well be saying that this is winter time (Southern Hemisphere has opposite seasons to us)...

If it was born in the spring/summer per the Northern Hemisphere it's a bit odd for it to be in hibernation already...

But regardless, I suggest you let it do what it feels it needs to do...

Put the UVB light on a timer so it is available if the Tegu wants it... but in hibernation their metabolism slows down so it will not be needed.

If it is truly hibernating, there is no reason to feed it... but if it comes up and basks, I would offer food...

Hibernating or not, continue to mist the cage...

Anthony

5 Year Member
i dont know if thats too early or not i heard diff opnions on when they go down... a few times i thought mine was slowing down but im not sure.... shes def not eating as much but still not sure

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus