• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hibernation

Apoc

Hello,

I just want some advice. Since a couple weeks I've got a Black and White tegu and a Columbian Tegu. They are both 8 years old. The former owner never did them in hibernation. I know the columbian doesn't need it, but what should I do with the black and white? What's the best to do for the animal?

Thanks a lot.

Tannaros

Hello,

I just want some advice. Since a couple weeks I've got a Black and White tegu and a Columbian Tegu. They are both 8 years old. The former owner never did them in hibernation. I know the columbian doesn't need it, but what should I do with the black and white? What's the best to do for the animal?

Thanks a lot.

You don't really "do" hibernation to them. You can do various things like change the light cycle in order to coax brumation behaviors - but for the most part if the tegu is going to hibernate, they will of their own accord.

Apoc

Thanks Tannaros for your reply. I know that they will do it on their own accord, but more, should I put the light cycle down. Former owner also never did that.

jtrux, I just wanted to know what's the best for my animals. If they really need it, probably you still can start after 8 years for their health. If it doesn't matter with any health issues or so, than I will just let it be like they are used too.

Tannaros

Thanks Tannaros for your reply. I know that they will do it on their own accord, but more, should I put the light cycle down. Former owner also never did that.

jtrux, I just wanted to know what's the best for my animals. If they really need it, probably you still can start after 8 years for their health. If it doesn't matter with any health issues or so, than I will just let it be like they are used too.

If you'd like to try and see if they'll hibernate you can gradually reduce the light cycle in duration (ex. from 12 hours on/off to 8 hours on, then 6, etc.). You can also start a gradual cooldown - slowly reducing temperatures in the enclosure over a few weeks. For species that require hibernation I generally do the previous two using the normal light timer and a rheostat dimmer.

I've had success with many of my other reptiles going through brumation behavior doing this, though I've never really done it with my tegus - as one always goes down for hibernation and the other seems to never want to.

Concept Dragons

I was sort of wondering about hibernation myself, since I will soon get my first Argentine B&W from Ty Park and they just hatched 2 days ago. So the question I had was if you only hibernate them after they have reached a year of age or should you already do it when the tegu is a few months old?

Tyler137

I was sort of wondering about hibernation myself, since I will soon get my first Argentine B&W from Ty Park and they just hatched 2 days ago. So the question I had was if you only hibernate them after they have reached a year of age or should you already do it when the tegu is a few months old?
They will decide if they hibernate or not..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu