• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Housing multiple tegus together

Tegu Boss

I know that generally it is a bad idea, but how big would an enclosure need to be to house two tegus? And they would have to be both females, correct? Or could I house a male and a female? Thanks

Orion

5 Year Member
I house my male with my one of my females in a 4x8x4. My male sometimes goes into the other females cage. But even outside both my females go at each other.

larissalurid

Wouldn't housing a male and female together cause problems? As in what if they try to mate? Not everyone is experienced enough to have their reptiles breed. Also the male could hurt the female or stress her out a lot if she doesn't want it as well as how you'd then have eggs. Or if she is too young and the male tries it would be very unhealthy. Plus females act very differently after laying eggs. How do people who house male and female together deal with these things?

Tegu Boss

I agree, I'm not even getting two. But i was really just wondering because i want do do it in the future. (And i will be more experienced)

larissalurid

Tegu Boss said:
I agree, I'm not even getting two. But i was really just wondering because i want do do it in the future. (And i will be more experienced)

It can also be risky introducing adults into the same environment though. They could fight.

If you want multiple just raise your first for a few years to make sure you know what you are doing and can actually handle more. They require a lot of work and attention (as well as food!) Seems you might be getting a bit too excited before you even have your first lol.

In the future if you are ready for another you can just house them separately to keep things safe and give them their own, proper amount of space.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu