• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

housing my gus together?

Jer723

5 Year Member
hey guys. my red tegu tico is getting to big for his 30 long tank. and my new girl tequila is getting too big for her 20 long tank. and i was wondering do you think it would be too early to start introducing them. and housing them together? because i have the money to buy a 40 breeder, which i think will give them enough room for them for the time before i build the custom tank for them in my room. i want to get this so i can start introducing them before i house them in the huge enclosure. the baby is about 13 inches with tail. and my other tegu is about 14 inches with a stubbed tail. would it be ok to start housing them together? or is it too early. tico (the red) has never shown any aggression. not even when he eats so. i dont think it would be a big problem i just wanted to get your guys opinions. here is a thread of pics of the 2. tell me if you think the size is too far apart. please reply. thank you.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4593" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=26&t=4593</a><!-- l -->

Jerry

White_Lotus

5 Year Member
now i havent been a tegu keeper for all that long but i have researched them indepth, now do not take that the wrong way there are people whose knowledge of these fantastic animals make my finite knowledge seem small than a hatchling tadpole...but snout to vent is more so the size you want to compare if your tegu has a stubbed tail...thats what i think personally but i've seen adult tegus get along with juvies so anything is possible...as long as you closely monitor their behaviors i would think it would be perfectly ok...as long as there isnt any "bullying" going on for the basking spot or territorial behavior its all good ^_^

Jer723

5 Year Member
well i was going to put 2 of everything. 2 hides 2 bask spots and what not. i just want to get them used to each other and i would be monitoring them constantly. i wouldnt want either of them to get hurt. i just want them to be friends!!! lol

White_Lotus

5 Year Member
lol...well based on a few videos and conversations with Bobby(because i plan on doiong the same thing with my tegu...gettign her a room mate) just watch them at first..feed them separately, timed visits...tegus naturally get along with each other as long as there is no competition

kpelzer

5 Year Member
a 40 breeder would honestly just be a waste of money man, specially for 2. they will grow out of that in know time. id just start building a bigger one now if you can. 2 tegus are going to need an 8x4 minimum full grown. you can start introducing them now if you think they are ready just do it in a neutral location (like your bedroom floor), one that neither of them are familiar with so there will be no dominance issue. good luck man

AWD247

5 Year Member
Hey Jerry,

Feel free to swing by my house and use my enclosure for now if you have a way to pick it up, its about 8ft-9ft long, 2 sections for viewing and the last section is setup for complete privacy for hibernating, I have more lumber & tools if you want to change it up or add to it. Till you complete yours.

100_0229.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu