• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

how old do y'all think my tegu might be

spartan103

Here is my columbian tegus Clyde he is 1 ft 7 in, the place I got him said he was a year and a half old when I got him 2 months ago but he has grown a lot. How old do u think he is?
IMG_20150208_095331764.jpg

N8bub

How much has Clyde grown since you've had him? 19 in at a year and a half seems small but if they hadn't been feeding him optimally it's possible?

mine is a little bigger and is probably about 5-8 months old, but it depends on how much they fed him so he could be 6 months could be over a year.

spartan103

If they didn't give him the nutrition he needed and now I'm giving him a proper diet and say he is a year old it wouldn't have stunted his over all growth right?

Jackie & Hellboy

Not likely, I the wild these guys go through growth spurts based on food availability, they grow slower in the wild than they do in captivity, generally speaking, so once you have proper setups established and constant feeding taking place you can expect some bursts of growth with periods of slow growth and feeding every so often.

You may be asking if his maximum potential size could be affected by improper care at first? And it is possible that instead of growing to 5 feet in length he may only reach 4 or 4.5 feet in length but he may still reach his max potential regardless.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I'd say he's probably about a year old, depending on how well they fed him.

Yes, I would also guess around a year old. Diet can play a huge factor in size. I took in 2 argentines that were 2 years only and less than 2ft long. At the time they were fed once a week so they were smaller than average. Within a few months they really started to blow up and within a year there was no evidence that they ever had delayed growth.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu