• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

How terribly sad....

AP27

So I was browsing around on the internet trying to identify a lizard skin belt my mom had obtained a long time ago (which is very sad, and I don't condone, it was simply something she actually found on the ground outside a swap meet one day and thought it was interesting), and while looking for what it was I was horrified to come across a boot maker that makes tegu skin boots, and just terribly saddened in general to learn that tegus are often killed for their hides and used to make various, utterly pointless accessories. I know their are many animals in the world killed to make stupid things like this, but it just horrified me to think of my beloved tegu as somebody's boot. :(

AP27

Yes I do, but killing animals for food is different then killing them for pointless accessories. Food is a necessity, fancy lizard skin boots are not.
...I had a lot to add to this but I don't want to start ranting.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Meat is not a necessity. If you are against the use of animal hides you should be a vegan. Do you own anything that is leather?

AP27

No I don't. Look, I wasn't looking to start a debate on whether it's right or wrong or anything like that, I was just simply stating that it is sad to see an animal that I keep as a friend and companion turned into a boot.

grimz

I agree not to start a debate but i would like to say meat is necessity it is a main part of food in a humans diet and a main part in a animals diet even our tegus eat meat just my view so lets not start a debate.

Aardbark

5 Year Member
"We taught a lion to eat tofu...."

I dont care if its biast, or hypocriical. I dont want to see any tegu or cute reptile skinned for its hide to make some crappy boots. That indeed makes me sad. And you dont have to justify what makes you sad. It just does.

RamblinRose

5 Year Member
Fact of life...The Tegu leathers are a product of S. America and are a way of life for the poor to make an income. They eat the meat and sell the hides to buyers who in turn make goods from the hides. Nothing is wasted this way.

HeatherN

Yes for a long time, tegus were a main sorce of meat and hides for local people - like their version of cows or what have you. Now, just like we do with our food animals, tegus are bred enmass to feed and supply hides. Some people love cows, some people love tegus :D. Their treatment is reprehensible on both sides in the farms. I'd like them all to be farmed humanely, but I do love my meat. Simply observations/ opinions, not anything I ask other people to adopt or dispute! :)

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
grimz said:
I agree not to start a debate but i would like to say meat is necessity it is a main part of food in a humans diet and a main part in a animals diet even our tegus eat meat just my view so lets not start a debate.

I'll say it again, meat is not a necessity. Millions of people live long, healthy lifes as vegans. I understand some people need justify their eating of meat by saying it is necessary, but the fact remains it is not. I just find it a bit hypocritical that someone could find it ok to kill some animals for food, but not others.

BillieJeAn

I eat meat, but I agree animals should not be killed JUST for their skin or to make things out of.
I feel like it is less sad to know that they do eat their meat to survive and then their skin is used.

My Boyfriends parents are vegan and they live perfectly healthy lives and have some of the yummiest food i have ever tasted! so meat is not necessary, but it is good. :p

grimz

If a person dont need meat what are you gonna feed your tegu i do not eat a whole lot of meat and i do think killikng animals for fashion is wrong but humans can survive with out meat even though meat is wanna one of the main diets in the food chain but still with out meat what are your meat eating animals gonna eat.

m3s4

I agree with the OP because I do find it sad.

Do I eat meat? Yes.
Do I eat tegu meat? No.
Do I own reptile apparel? No.
Do I find it sad tegus are used for apparel and food? Yes.

However, I can't stop any of that from happening in S. America, or any other parts of the world.

I can however, own a few as pets and find a little gratification knowing that my "pets" won't ever end up on someones boots or dinner plate.

As long as I can give my tegus the best life possible, I'm content with that. I wish the same could be said for the countless number of other reptiles, including tegus, but that just isn't going to happen.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
grimz said:
If a person dont need meat what are you gonna feed your tegu i do not eat a whole lot of meat and i do think killikng animals for fashion is wrong but humans can survive with out meat even though meat is wanna one of the main diets in the food chain but still with out meat what are your meat eating animals gonna eat.

If you are that concerned about the animals, how about not keeping them as pets for your enjoyment. Let them run wild in their natural habitat and you don't have to worry about what to feed them.

Grendel

If you are that concerned about the animals, how about not keeping them as pets for your enjoyment. Let them run wild in their natural habitat and you don't have to worry about what to feed them.
[/quote]

Absolutely right , if you really want to get down to the nitty gritty, keeping wild animals as pets is the worst, no matter how much we justify in our minds that they are happy, and no matter how much we give them human emotions and characteristics.

grimz

getting rid of my animals was taking it to far i am not getting rid of my animals i was just making my point and as for all of us we all have different beleifs you have yours i have mine end of story just like keeping reptiles different people have different ways of keeping reptiles now some just want to be cruel to them but there can be 1 great reptile keeper and another great reptile keeper even though there views are different.

AP27

How did this go from a simple statement that making animals into apparel is sad to being a bad animal keeper? James, telling someone their point is pointless is a tad rude and uncalled for, everyone's entitled to their own opinion. I'm just trying to keep the peace here, I never intended this to start arguments, I just found something that I found sad about tegus, and seeing as this is a tegu forum and we love our pets, just thought to share my opinion, that is all. So please cease the arguing. This is a community forum where people are supposed to feel welcomed and share their thoughts on their beloved pets, not start arguments. That's all I have to say on this.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu