• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

hybrids are trash?

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
And only subspecies would naturally breed, hence the natural occurrence. I don't think anything exists in a perfect box. Sure, natural mating has occurred between dogs and wolves and I wouldn't doubt the existence of a wild mule. Corn snakes were recently reclassified, so I still consider them intergrades. A group of scientists decides to change the name of an animal and all of the sudden it changes from a hybrid to intergrades and vice versa. But that is just my opinion. I am not a genetics expert so this is pretty much the upper limit of my conversation on the matter, haha.

Yep...basic health sciences building at U of FL in the early 90's. You'd have to get all your drug meds, go to the basement feed all the rats, weigh all the rats, check the ID marks on all the rats. Then inject whichever was due that day (they don't like it and they are HUGE and MEAN!). Go figure your stats and drop them off at the research doc's office. Then go back upstairs and get your bone specimen slides. The bone had been laid down with a flourescent marker and we used UV microscopes to measure the rate of bone deposition. It was a great learning experience because the research doc taught gross anatomy to the vet students and taught me a lot. It was also pretty awesome to see that research become an actual medication used to treat women with osteoporosis a decade later. Having to corner wild ponies to catch them for surgery was not quite as fun, but that doc taught me a lot about reproductive physiology, light cycles and pineal glands, drawing blood on horses, and let me sit in on the surgery to study the brain of an alligator. I think I learned more from working than classes!

Hybrid

You are right species are always being reclassified. So what if some purist crosses 2 localities than it is decided to place one of the localities into another spcies and he had sold as a pure species. I believe this happened to some species of rat snake. So all of a sudden the snake becomes an "abomination" even though earlier it was considered pure. I think if people are really concerned about there animals "purity" they should be bred ight down to the locality. I keep animals that Ihink are beautiful, I don't use them as a status symbol. I want to hybridize a bullsnake to an Andean milk snake. Why? I wantan animal that getsva large size for lampropeltini colubrids, which both animals possess, keeled scales, red saddels and other traits I would likek im done now my phones irritating the fu... Crap out of me.

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It will still be a hybrid. By the way an intergrade is only a subspecies hybrid.
True and as a purist I don't particularly mind intergrades so long as the parent animals are from overlapping ranges and certain "methods" aren't used to create offspring.

Hybrid said:
You are right species are always being reclassified. So what if some purist crosses 2 localities than it is decided to place one of the localities into another spcies and he had sold as a pure species. I believe this happened to some species of rat snake.
Hardcore purists love their localities and are often only interested in animals that can be traced to a specific region.

Of course to each his/her own, I just posted to help explain why many people are against hybrids. We generally aren't hating just for the sake of being mean(of course there are exceptions, you can find nasty folk just about anywhere). What usually gets misconstrued as angry hating is more or less passion about saving the integrity of the genepool of individual species.

teguboy77

5 Year Member
Yeah i myself to think to each there own,i like some hybrids,and some i dont lol.
laurarfl said:
@JohnMatthew, the classification changed so much since the 1700's, like it always does. :) I've seen studies that claim one wolf species was the origin and studies that claim there were multiple origins. Regardless, dogs are not considered hybrids because of the genetic closeness. <shrug>

@Dana, I appreciate the compliment, but I have never been very fond of the "God-like" membership title on the other forum. I just have weird trivial knowledge and like to share it with people.

My background: I graduated high school a year early. I planned to be a pre-vet major, went to U of FL. I worked with med research that developed a current osteoporosis drug where I learned a bit about bone histology and some really high tech microscopy (and cared for 300 rats) and equine reproductive physiology where I worked in the lab and maintained our little pony herd. I also volunteered for the equine neonatology unit which meant I babysat medically sensitive expensive racehorses and their babies during the night. I partied too much and my GPA fell, so I came back home. I majored in Cardiopulmonary Sciences at UCF, specialized in life support for newborns at Arnold Palmer Hospital and pediatric ICU, then quit to raise a family. I began teaching science part-time, started a reptile education business. I'm hoping to finish my master's in education this yer and start my PhD next year. Really, I'm just a science nerd and I like to read a lot. ;) I have a complete fascination with anatomy and physiology.

Before i read the above i always though u were a smart person,and very knowledgeable,about alot of things,reptiles,lighting,etc.Good luck with getting ur masters too.;)

Draco D Tegu

LOL yes, those Sprague Dawely rats can deliver one HECK of a bite, but I've been bitten by far more mice than rats. :-/

The first place I worked for was a little company called MedImmune. Today, they're REALLY big. They're the ones that developed the Flu-Mist vaccine and treatments for RSV. I left there in 2000 to go to NIH, but boy I wish I still had that stock! We also did a lot of other immunology work......one study of which involved cotton rats. I DETEST those creatures. Nothing will make me ever like them.

Now where I work, much of what I do I can't discuss, but I have learned more by working on various projects than I ever did from class as well.

As far as the discussion on the localitiy/regions........wouldn't that kind of be a moot point from a purist standpoint though? Prior to mankind taking a foothold on the planet, species migrated and many do migrate. Ecological disasters happened, and given that the separation of Pangea into the continents occurred and boundaries tended to shift..........how does the purist standpoint reconcile that into the desire for species purity? Granted these things aren't happening as they did in history, but as we encroach more and more on the planet, some of these species are relocating themselves to survive and run the chance of interbreeding. Would you then consider localities a factor?

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Draco D Tegu said:
as we encroach more and more on the planet, some of these species are relocating themselves to survive and run the chance of interbreeding.

This is different than intentionally creating hybrids. Like I said though, purists especially are bothered by hybrids and what the future holds for the reptile world as a result. If they don't bother you I was just trying to explain why we often seem irritable when the subject comes up on message boards. More often than not people are trying to create them just to prove that they can, or because they think it'd be cool, or maybe just out of boredom with little to no consideration for the possible impact such pairings could have after a few generations of breeding.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029