• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Hypothetical Question?

casey15

Would it be possible to turn a shed into a monitor enclosure? Probably a steel shed? I'd buy it new, Inside I'd build a sort of barrier so I could put the substrate deep without blocking the door? I'm looking into different ways to build an enclosure? I could get a 10x16 shed, he'd have alot of room and I wouldn't need to worry about wood rotting. Would this work or no? I'm just looking into ideas for his future adult enclosure.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Are you going to keep it outside? What are the high/low temps and humidity where you live throughout the year.

casey15 said:
Would it be possible to turn a shed into a monitor enclosure? Probably a steel shed? I'd buy it new, Inside I'd build a sort of barrier so I could put the substrate deep without blocking the door? I'm looking into different ways to build an enclosure? I could get a 10x16 shed, he'd have alot of room and I wouldn't need to worry about wood rotting. Would this work or no? I'm just looking into ideas for his future adult enclosure.

Well locks are a given, you'd want to put concrete or a board of plywood under substrate to keep predators out and depending on the reptile to keep it in if it burrows. Maybe take out a chunk of the side and put in pelxi glass for extra viewing, but overall you could pull it off if you get all the safety issues out of the way. Props if you can do it.

casey15

I'd keep the shed inside in our basement, I've taken measurments and the ceilings high enough for one, the basement is also well insulated, heating the cage would not be difficult.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It could possibly work. It's hard to say how strong the sides would be and if they could contain all the dirt. Give it a try.

Dana C

Like James said, it could possibly work but simple shed type enclosure framed out of 2x4's and sheeted with plywood well sealed would be better. You would also find that installing light and heating fixtures would be much easier not to mention the installation of doors and plexi glass widows. Wood also provides more of an insulating effect than metal.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan