• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

i bought a tegu today and need help

tegulover

5 Year Member
well i bought my tegu today and he is very healthy
hes basking spot its about 100-105 and a cool end of 75-80
but all he seems to do is burrow and when i dig him up hes cold and its worryin me
he on cypress mulch he has a large bowl a half hut and a plant
AND ALSO I HAVE MY LIGHT ON A THERMOSTAT AND THE LIGHT IS RED . BUT WHEN IT FLASHES WILL IT DISTURB HIM ?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You need to provide a little more detail. How old & long is the Tegu? What is the size of the Tank? What are you using for UVB? Tube UVB bulbs (8.0 & 10.0) are only good for about 12", less if they have to go through the fine screen on the top of most tanks. A Mercury Vapor bulb is best, but not closer than 12". I use Par38 halogen flood lights for basking heat, available at Home Depot, Wal-Mart, etc. Do not use a thermostat, keep the lights on for 12 hours per day, turn them all off at night. How did you measure your basking temp? They need to be surface not air temps. Use a TempGun. Don't use the round stick on thermometers & humidity meters, they are known be be very inaccurate (compare all of them at the pet store and you'll see), I use Accu-Rite digital indoor/outdoor humidity meter available at Wal-Mart for about $11.

Post some pics of your Tegu and setup.

Gx3

5 Year Member
Tegus will burry a lot, and when they hibernate they will be underground for up to 7 months

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029