• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

I think my Savannah Monitor is Dying :(

dragonqueen4

5 Year Member
I moved him into a bigger mesh tank last week and he hated it and rubbed the tip of his mouth so much he made it bleed. So I put him back in his glass tank and ever since he will barely eat or bask. He is very lethargic, sleeps all day long. He will only eat if I hand feed him, so I just gave him some chicken hearts on a fork..he wont chase after superworms like he used to love to do... hes not losing any weight though.
When hes laying there with his eyes open its like hes just staring off into space and is very unresponsive to whats going on around him. Hes usually aggressive and doesnt like to be handled, when I handle him now, hes still kinda feisty, but no where near as much as usual. He still flicks his tongue a lot, especially when I pick him up. Just now, he slide backwards off his rock and just lay there sat up straight with his back against the glass, belly up. I had to fix him back on his rock. Then he slid backwards again and lay there on his side and wont right himself. I dont understand what could of happened.
At first I was thinking parasites, but now Im not sure. I cant get a fecal sample because hes not pooping. I was thinking of treating him with some ivermectin or flaygl anyway.

Jefroka

5 Year Member
This is one of those times you need an expert's opinion, imho, bring him to the vet, if you can.

...Jefroka

AWD247

5 Year Member
Plus one for the VET, This happend to a friends Sav a few years back and it did turn out to be a parasite but something from his water dish, if I can get more info on it ill let you know, are its eyes foggy/dull ? Also if you get a stool sample check for very very small/ tiny jelly like blood spots the size of a red ant almost.

dragonqueen4

5 Year Member
Back from the vet and heres how it went. ..

we think its possible he has blood poisoning, but its not advanced, so for that hes been injected with baytril and i have more to give him orally. He also has to take metronidazole-apo 250 tablets one a week for 4 weeks and fenbendazole just incase he has parasites.

Yes, his eyes are dull.. and very unresponsive. He hasnt pooped lately so I cant check. I would like to hear more about what was caught from the water dish!!

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
oh my gosh im so sorry to hear that. i hope he gets better and back to himself soon.

Adam87

5 Year Member
damn that sounds like what i went through with Larry i wonder if he had blood poisoning i hope you and him get through this better than what i had to go through

AWD247

5 Year Member
Sorry I havent been on.. but the issue i wa talkin about with the water dish was a type of clear jelly like fungus that was growing in its bowl.. he had one of these "reptile store brand" water bowls that are made to look like rock/ stone.. well anyway the pours ended up trapping feces (being that it would deficate in the bowl) although he tried to always keep it clean.
Well finally when these symptoms started to show, he started checking around couldnt find anything.. took the entire enclosure to be checked, substrate, fixtures, decor etc. turns out there was a slight jelly like substance within the pours.. when tested it was a bacteria which turned into intestinal parasites.

Sorry I dont know the exact name, im waiting to hear from him to tell me the name.

One of the main things i remember was it eyes being very foggy.. almost with like a floggy blue-ish tint to it.

Edit/Add: Did they rule out blood mites?

AWD247

5 Year Member
No your 100% right for boiling those dishes, i have several dishes bowls that i throw in the dish washer (without detergent of course) just so that its blasted with high heat.. then I wipe them down with a pet safe cleaner.

dragonqueen4

5 Year Member
I use those same water dishes from pet stores..their made by exo terra.
Blood mites were not ruled out.. .. I assume youre talking about the common external mites.. I treated all my reptiles for that a while back because of a wild caught Brazilian Rainbow Boa I bought from a pet store.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980