• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Identifying new Tegu :)

Stef41

Greetings from West Michigan :)

My name is Stefanie, and along with my roommate Sophia, I have recently purchased my first Tegu! :woot

We have a wide variety of other animals (Beardies, Blue tongued skinks, Iguanas, snakes, and a LOT of Tarantulas!) So we're not new to the world of reptiles, but we ARE new to Tegus!

We've named him/her Atreyu, and so far it's very sweet and eats great!

However, we are unsure as to whether or not it is a Columbian or an Argentine (or other?). I was hoping that if I posted a few pictures somebody could enlighten us? We have looked all over this site, along with plenty of "google images," and so far it's just too confusing! We haven't been able to come to any real conclusion! Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

I've known "a bit" about Tegus from research over the last few years, but never had the opportunity to purchase one. So the other week, my friend (my Tarantula breeder) called me and said he had acquired several baby "Black and White" Tegus from a friend that was suddenly relocated out of state, and asked if I would be interested in taking one. Obviously I said yes...but that's just it, all the information he was given was that they were "Black and White" Tegus...and if I've read correctly on some of the other threads here, that doesn't exactly narrow it down to one type.

I tried to find a thread on here specifically FOR identifying Tegu types, and I am sure there IS one, but I had no luck finding it? :(

So I hope I don't get in trouble for posting this here, but we'd really like to know! I've done a fair amount of research and it seems as though an Argentine is the kind we should hope for! However, if I HAD to make a guess....I would say ours may just be Columbian (based on certain pictures)? :chin

Thanks in advance!
~Stef

Attachments

• Atreyu11.jpg
    515 bytes · Views: 3
  • Atreyu22.jpg
    515 bytes · Views: 3
  • Atreyu33.jpg
    515 bytes · Views: 1

Mr Critter

5 Year Member
It's a columbian,The scales between the nostril & eye,Argentines have two scales between ,columbians have one scale.& also you can tell just by looking at them.GOOD LUCK he's a beauty.

kaa

5 Year Member
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=2407&p=29495&hilit=loreal#p29495" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=65&t=2407&p=29495&hilit=loreal#p29495</a><!-- l -->

This post shows the loreal scale difference, and also the exception. The more accurate way is to look at the pattern. the Argentine almost has a line that goes down the side. the Colombian is more random in it's pattern. Also, the argentine tend to have a bigger build than Colombian. You do have a good looking Colombian, from what I have heard and seen, they can get as tame as the Argentine, it just takes much more work. If you are wanting an Argentine, Buy from Bobby, or someone that has one of his, He has the best. Good luck with your little guy.

Also, I would love to see more of your collection, it sounds like you have a pretty nice set of animals.

Stef41

Thank you all again for your responses!

I actually spoke with Bobby over the phone for awhile today, and made plans to purchase one of his B/W's! I'm so excited!

Now I have to figure out what to do with the little guy I already have!

And Kaa, thanks for link! Also, I'd be glad to post some pictures of my other creatures! Is there a certain place to do so? Or right here on this post?

kaa

5 Year Member
You can do it any where you want, I don't think anyone is going to get upset because you posted in the wrong forum. Congrats on the new gu, you won't be disappointed. You could hold onto the other gu and try to tame it.

Stef41

Okay, I posted some pics in the welcome section :)

I figured I might as well introduce myself properly anyways!

Thanks again for all your help guys! I really appreciate it. :mrgreen:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu