• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

im addicted

Adam87

5 Year Member
ok i kno the first step is amiting you have a tegu addiction haha but seriously i want another tegu now i just got a 3-4month argentine b/w just about a week ago but if im going to get another i would like to house them together but idk if i should get a Red or another B/W and if they should be male or female and how soon should get the second tegu to put in the enclourse so they will play nice

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
Lol. I know how you feel :) . Don't feel bad this is normal. It is very hard to just have one. Just be careful. They add up quick. We have six of them now lol. I know a lot off people house their Tegus together but I always been very worried about it. If you have a male and a female together the problem would be that the male will be mature faster to breed with than the female.
If you have two males together they might get along with each other now since they are still small but when they become adults it MIGHT change. I have two b/w adult males. They got along great. Cuddled up together and walked around together. One day the smaller one bit the bigger one two times. After that I had to seperate them. I just didn't want to take the chance. They all have their own enclosures now. But who knows mabe yours will get along just fine. You never know. Good luck.

Adam87

5 Year Member
well considering the fact i do love tegus but i wouldnt want to breed them yet haha i may just get a male but idk if i should get a red or a b/w im thinkin red

Adam87

5 Year Member
no kidding B/w Reds blues golds i mean i never even heard of tegus b4 until one day i was at the pet shop and theres dave dragon with his huge Red just hangin out and he pointed me hear for help with my iguana now look at me im all tegu and im about to get another

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
im an addict as well i got my first argentine b/w this past summer and knew i had to have another. i got my second b/w in december and will definately be getting a red next week. you just have to make sure the two are close in size to avoid any problems. my first tegu is almost 4' while the other one is less than 2' i wouldnt house them together but i do allow them to free roam together from time to time. that has worked fine so far with no squabbles.

Adam87

5 Year Member
i would to get my hands on a Red but im very very limited to space since i bulit my 6x3x3 i my iguana is on top of my tegu cage then across the way is my beardie that is going to need a bigger cage in the spring so my only options are put him in with Buddy or get ridd of my beardie or my iguana or just not get one at all if anything i would give away my beardie Leon cause hes been a jerk latly and belive it or not is one of my most expesive reptiles i gotta spend at least $40 aweek on him with greens meal worms crickets and fuzzies

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lol im up to $100+ on food for all of mines and want to add more lol i must have a screw loose somewere lmbo. but i have a med size bedroom just for my reptiles so i can expand their cages when needed im going to p[pst some pics of my room once im done fixing it up!

isdrake

5 Year Member
Why can't people settle with just one Tegu? Haha, I hope two will be enough for us. I really don't have space for a third one. Hehe.

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
isdrake. I try to make this short. This is how we ended up with so many Tegus. We orderd Leonidas ( our biggest Arg. b/w Tegu ). Then we saw Zeus ( our smaller Arg. b/w Tegu ) at our local reptile Store ( not a chain reptile store ) and they had him for a view months and we were feeling sorry for him so we bought him. I always wanted a powder blue Tegu. We found some powder blue/red hybrid hatchligns. Since they were to small to tell what sex they were we got two off them because we wanted to breed them with some regular blues one day. Thank God they turned out to be male and female. Then we wanted to buy one more ( maybe two ). Well we wanted to get some from DaveDragon but when we saw the All Americans from Bobby we got two of those. Bobby probed them so we made sure we got a male and female for our other two hybrids. This is how we ended up with six lol.

Adam87

5 Year Member
thats a little nutty haha i think i wanna breed one day but from what i understand conitiions must be perfect and im still playing around with getting temps right and humminty just right so i have a long way to go and learn from people on here

isdrake

5 Year Member
Wow, six tegus.. that's a lot. :) Six Tegus would need our whole apartment for themselves.

I think I will settle with two. :p The only reason to get a third one would be if we wanted to breed (I think we got two females). Breeding Tegus would be awesome. There are no breeders here so it would be about time. XD

gboleslavsky

5 Year Member
I have 3 males together, 18 m. o. 40" 8 lb BW Giant, 18 m. o. Red, 44" 12 lbs and a 6 m.o. BW, 36" and 2-3 lbs. The Red and the Giant have lived together for over a year, since they were 20-24" or so. I got the hatchling BW male from Bobby in July and raised it alone till he was 24" or so, after which I started to introduce him to the other 2. I started having them shower together for 30-40 minutes while I was watching, then I had them spend more and more time together, finally by having him spend time in their cage for a couple of hours a day for 2-3 weeks. I moved him in with them about 6 weeks ago and have had no problerms. They all bask together, the small one climbs on top often, and they sleep together in the hide. The cage is 10x4

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
lol when i let achilles free roam with nero he climbs on neros back and bask or go on a teggy-back ride they get along for such a huge size difference(achilles is 19" and nero is 45+ and they are not housed together) i never can get a pic of them together.

Adam87

5 Year Member
See thats what i would try out gboleslavsky just have them spend time with each other more and more and for some reason Reptiles and other reptiles no matter the species get along great in a bath tub even with the owners itsa great way to build trust i wounder why that is

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
thats how i first introduced my 2 tegus in a bath tub i think because its very relaxing!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980