• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Impacted Tegu? please help!

G

So I had a baby about 3 weeks ago and I havent been paying much attention to my Tegu since then. Well earlier today she was opening her mouth and lifting her tail up I figured maybe she was trying to poop. Then a little while ago I noticed her kind of laying on her side in the cage. She is soaking in the tub now. I cant afford a vet right now havent worked in 4 weeks. Does it sound like she could be impacted? Anything I can do if she is?

G

Tegu is definitely impacted. She started doing the wiggley butt trying to poop thing. My friend told me to give her half water half baby laxative can anyone confirm that this is ok?

G

I havent heard of that. If he is eating try to get some cod liver oil down him . The hot baths are good ...One member gave his an enema and his came out of it .. Im sorry about your tegu .. There is a good chance he will pass it and we will all hope he does .... Other wise a vet is your best option ...

G

I gave 2 hot baths yesterday and nothing but a tiny bit of urate. Going to try again today and see how much a vet will cost

eddyjack

A this point I think any thing reasonable is worth a try. The baby laxative (if it is eating) is well worth a try. Otherwise just let nature take it's course and things should work out for the best.

G

I took her to the vet. She had an enema and they gave me some medicine to take home to try to get her to poop and said to give 2 warm soaks for 20 min a day...She still hasnt pooped.

G

Glad you took her to the vet ! Bobby is on your side ... I`ve got a good feeling about the out come ...

G

I called my local pet store and asked them if theyd be willing to help me with the mineral oil Bobby told me about. Taking her up there around 5 I sure hope it helps.

slideaboot

5 Year Member
I had an impaction recently and Bobby also suggested mineral oil. In conjunction with that, a lot of soaking and massaging, Aesop managed to pass a RIDICULOUS amount of feces.

Bobby knows what's up...

G

Ive been soaking her twice a day for 20-30 min. I hope the mineral oil helps... if it comes down to surgery I dont know what Ill do.

G

From my experience with bearded dragons (which are much smaller of course), when I was having an issue with one of them, the BD forums suggested that I added a couple of drops of mineral oil to a couple of her meals.

As well as the rubbing and soaking, it seemed to help the dragon pass the issue.

G

opened her mouth stuck his finger in the vasaline and put it in the back of her mouth. He said it would help loosen stuff up.

G

Not sure if anyone can or would be interested in helping but if it comes down to her needing surgery Im going to try to set up a paypal donation button for my facebook friends and Ill probably post it here as well. I normally wouldnt ask people for money but I figure its worth a shot if it could save my tegus life. It hasnt come down to that yet but if it does that is what Im thinking of doing. Im going to give her like a week to get it out...

Orion

5 Year Member
I am so sorry your Tegu has to go through this. Mine got impacted right after he came out of hibernation last year. He has a habit of eating everything especially substrate. We finally had to get him into surgery because his body was starting to give out on him since he could no longer process anything and he was getting no nutrients. in the end the vet bill was over $1500. He has come through it perfectly and is a happy boy now. It was well worth it. I would keep trying what your doing now and leave surgery as a last option.

Kingwolf26

5 Year Member
Fitzgerald, the reptile vet here gives impacted carnivorous animals a vegetable mix and it goes right through their system. I tried that when my first tegu ate tissue and she passed it the next night. Might I add this this tissue was bounty paper towel. The veggies were mixed veg from the local food store. If she still swallows try them chopped up really small

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980