• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Ink-My new B&W/Red tegu.

Skeetzy

Lucky! I got a nice plate of ground rabbit sitting in his cage going bad. Going to be the 5th bag of food wasted. Not too concerned about the food though. I just want to see the little guy.

When do I become concerned about not seeing him. I refuse to dig him out, unless absolutely necessary. Mainly because I have NO idea where he dug himself too. He's a quick digger.

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
If he is used to u u can try to use a object that's not going to stab him and move the mulch around if u find him he will pop up

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Skeetzy

Yeah I know hahah. I just don't want to pull him out of hiding. I'm assuming he's down there because he's scared of the new environment. But I'm not sure when it's not okay for him to be not eating anything, and I have to dig him up. I'd much prefer to leave it up to him to come out and eat. Seems like the right thing to do.

ReptileGuy

Skeetzy said:
Yeah I know hahah. I just don't want to pull him out of hiding. I'm assuming he's down there because he's scared of the new environment. But I'm not sure when it's not okay for him to be not eating anything, and I have to dig him up. I'd much prefer to leave it up to him to come out and eat. Seems like the right thing to do.

Sounds like typical new tegu stress :) Mine won't come out of hiding either but ate for me right out of the box...Hopefully he stops hiding soon so I can see his adorable face! :D

Skeetzy

So an extra day of letting him rest. If he hasn't come out by Monday I'm gonna dig him out to get a meal in him. Or try at least.

anelk002

5 Year Member
Could you try and give him a pinky mouse? That could make him come out smelling it. Just a thought. I know with my old Tegu I had I didn't feed him mice often but whenever I wanted him to come out that's what did it lol don't know y

Skeetzy

I work 11-10 today, and he hasn't come out yet. So I'm hoping a quiet empty room all day will make him come out tomorrow. I do plan on trying a pinky. I just need to find a pet store with some.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
He does eat F/T pinkies. I'm thinking it is the big cage. And he may be sticking his head out when no one is around. Do you see foot prints and tail drag prints?

Just a suggestion, it may be best to start with a smaller enclosure at first so you aren't playing hide-and-seek or tag. :)

Skeetzy

It's so hard to tell with the sand soil mixture. I've also been in there fixing a few things, misting, and what not. But I wouldn't doubt he's sticking his head out. That's how we seen him last time. And he covered the hole back up.

Tomorrow after work I'm gonna go grab pinkies and a few more makeshift hides for him, just to help him adjust.

Skeetzy

Dug him out. Spent 45 minutes digging till I found him. Ruined it though, yelled whoa when I undug him. Scared me :p

He ran rather fast, but who wouldn't being startled like that in the middle of your sleep. I let him be, and started putting the warm end of his enclosure back together from digging. I looked over and he was exploring, with me on the other side of the tank. But went back into the cinderblocks. He's now curled up in a cinderblock hole. I put some food right in front of him.

Now I'm sitting here waiting for him to come out so I can give him a bath and put his entire cave back together. I went overboard with moving things to find him :p

I'm hoping he comes out on his own now. I'm going to pick up pinkies tomorrow at my local pet store, a familiar smell should help I think.

Skeetzy

Dug him out again. A lot easier to find this time. Made a burrow right next to the cave. He woke up and ran into the cave. I tried luring him out with a pinky, but to no luck. Left it sitting on a plastic lid right in front of him for over an hour. Didn't even come sniff it out. Tried leaving another under his heat lamp but still nothing. So I rearranged the cage again slightly to encourage him to come out. Left the left side of the cave/cinderblock open for a direct path to the hot side. And made a hide on the hot side with some driftwood and my tshirt. Ordered another large hide to break up the openness.

I have a question about humidity though. It's been going through the roof with the humidifier. First had it running every other half hour, then with 1.5 hour intervals, to 2.5, to 4.5. Now it's completely off. I installed 5 2" vents, 3 on the side with the window next to it and the other 2 opposite. Right now it sits at 70% on the hot side, and 85% on the cool side. Is this too high? Temps are perfect(now anyways, thanks to the vents). 90 hot, 80 cool, 105-115 basking, and 80 at night.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1348008734087.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1348008734087.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 10

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Yea still high should only be that high during shed don't mist for a few days and turn over dubstrate

Skeetzy

He's still very timid. Stays in the corner of the cinderblock up against the dirt. I don't want to force it. I leave my hand near him for a bit. But he doesn't come out to smell it or anything. But he wasn't as shy as the first time, when he kind of just bolted.

And thanks for the advice! I just turned it the other night. I mix it up a little every day.

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Werd if u dig him up give him a bath and then hold also offer food

Skeetzy

Just dug him up now. Left a plate of thawed turkey in there. He's sitting at the mouth of the cage scoping the scene out. I'll give him a bath if he doesn't go for food.

KABIKANO

Skeetzy said:
Just dug him up now. Left a plate of thawed turkey in there. He's sitting at the mouth of the cage scoping the scene out. I'll give him a bath if he doesn't go for food.

Why may I ask do you keep digging him out???

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Re: RE: Ink-My new B&W/Red tegu.

KABIKANO said:
Skeetzy said:

Why may I ask do you keep digging him out???

My cage setup is slightly different...with all of my lizards and snakes I like to keep simple and easy to clean.niles has paper towels on bottom.a water container (big enough to sit in).a hide cave.and a stuffed alligator toy he sometimes likes to inspect and poke at.haha.also in one corner i have shredded paper towels to satisfy his digging/burrowing nature.when i want to get him out for daily handling or feeding i find where he's laying.(often under a paper towel).i call his name and talk gently to him.then he opens his eyes.i stroke his back,still talking to him.then gently lift him...but not grabbing or forcing.i let him put his feet on my hand by choice...cupping my hand to encourage him to.if he's still 'sleepy' i just let him hang out on my lap or arm.if more active i let him roam,climb,etc.then offer food. I am finding he doesn't seem to want to eat every day...i feed once then one day just hold him.then by the next he's ready to eat again.sometimes he is out roaming cage when i take him out.other days i find him.i feel like it is important for him to be handled daily so he will always feel comfort in human contact because of the daily 'routine'...but i never 'pull' him out or grab.only gently awaken.talking the whole time.then let him step into my cupped hand.hope my rambling helps you in at least some way because i know all tegus are different and won't always respond the same. ;)

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980