• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

introducing tegus

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i am planning on introducing all three of my tegus sometime during the summer. i already introduced nero and achilles and it went well; but when i introduced achilles and pyro it didnt go to well; achilles started huffing and arching up, pyro has come out of his hide a few times but if he can see nero he runs back in , so an introduction between them is out of the question right now is likely impossible. currently they are all housed seperately nero(as some may know) is allowed free roam and was last measured 46" before loosing about 11" of his tail, achilles is housed in a 55 gal. tub and his last measurement was 22", pyro the smallest is 14" and is housed in a 20 gal. my goal is to someday allow achilles and pyro to co-habitate(since they both will most likely hibernate again) and nero stay by his self. i plan to wait til pyro and achilles are both above 2' before re-introducing them. what i did with the first two was allow them so soak in the tub together for a while and allow them to free roam together, achilles was only 17" at the time and nero was well over 40" so i kept a careful watch over them. i plan to do the same with the two smaller tegus. and then all three together. i actually got achilles to eat by allowing him to view nero eat while he was in a small tank nearby. if anyone have any other tips or suggestions please post em. i dont want to have three large tegus that cant get along!

White_Lotus

5 Year Member
Pyro is way to young to like Nero lol In the wild Pyro would be Nero's "mid-day snack" as for Achilles and Pyro they need to be introduced somewhere they don't readily go to...Achilles may feel that his home is being invaded by Pyro , therefore defensive behavior/territorial, if you've taken Achilles to the bathroom often he's to comfortable, Pyro is also very new...I would suggest setting up some kind of small space where Achilles doesnt usually visit so it seems somewhat foreign to him. My Gus Akira and Bella met in the bath tub because Akira has such a laid back attitude it didnt matter lol But Bella was defensive but soon calmed down since Akira was calm. As i said in the other post just give it time.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
thanks i understand that thats why im waiting til the summer. ill actually do it on my living room since none of them are in there except nero from time to time but nero is really laid back like akira so i dont worry about him!

isdrake

5 Year Member
Can I steal a part of this thread? Is it hard to introduce adult Tegus? Is it possible to house them together? Is it much harder then introducing two young Tegus?

We used to have two Tegus (both about a year) and they got along really great. But since one of them past we only have one left. We are interested in having two tegus but we can't risk to get another one. If they don't get along we don't have room for a second enclosure. Not one that would be legal anyway. So we would like to wait until we can afford a bigger place, but I'm afraid our Tegu will be grown up before we have that kind of money.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu