• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Is it possible to cross columbians and argentines?

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
It used to be thought that two species could only hybridize if they were in the same genus. This is far from the case, especially when you consider that "genus" is a human invention. Beefalo are a perfect example, as they are half bison (Bison bison) and half domestic cattle (Bos primigenius). Obviously, if two species are more closely related there is a higher probability of genetic compatibility. Hypothetically, it makes sense that you could cross a Colombian with an Argentine but it seems the greatest issue would be would the two animals mate with each other. If someone were to try this, perhaps artificial insemination is the route to take. I once met a guy who had a blood/Burmese python hybrid that was 200 pounds and ate cats.

dragonmetalhead said:
It used to be thought that two species could only hybridize if they were in the same genus. This is far from the case, especially when you consider that "genus" is a human invention. Beefalo are a perfect example, as they are half bison (Bison bison) and half domestic cattle (Bos primigenius). Obviously, if two species are more closely related there is a higher probability of genetic compatibility. Hypothetically, it makes sense that you could cross a Colombian with an Argentine but it seems the greatest issue would be would the two animals mate with each other. If someone were to try this, perhaps artificial insemination is the route to take. I once met a guy who had a blood/Burmese python hybrid that was 200 pounds and ate cats.

blood python x burmese python XD thats awesome sounding i heard about that somewhere

Dana C

dragonmetalhead said:

Geez, a 200 pound snake with an attitude:huh:

RamblinRose

5 Year Member
It does not happen in the wild, as far as experts go. Why would anyone want it to in the pet trade? I cannot see where there would be even any value in doing so in the pet trade, let alone any sound reasoning behind trying it. A beaded skin Vs a smooth skin? An attitude adjustment? Coloring? Size?... or Just to be the first one? :mad:
Sorry, but that is just how I feel about even the thought of it.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
laurarfl said:
Are you sure it was a blood/Burm? It sounds more like a Bateater (reticxburm).

This was over 10 years ago. I never saw the snake in person, just a photo, and at the time I'd never heard of a blood python. It looked like a significantly-meatier-than-average Burm with lots of reddish color and unusual markings.

Hybrid

dragonmetalhead said:
Maybe if You were breeding a male colombian to a Argentine you could rub a female Colombians shed on the argentine. The method works on snakes because snakes rely more on smell, I don't know about tegus.

BTW a beefalo is 3/8 bison or less :p

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
@Dragon...no worries, I was just chatting. :)

My females would probably eat my male Colombian if he tried to mate with them. ;)

got10

Hybrid said:
dragonmetalhead said:
Maybe if You were breeding a male colombian to a Argentine you could rub a female Colombians shed on the argentine. The method works on snakes because snakes rely more on smell, I don't know about tegus.

Trying to figure out the math of 3/8 of an animal process here. Please elaborate on that one.
If half of a half is a quarter . So would it mean that you would have to breed a full cow with an animal that is only a quarter buffalo ?. That would sound like a lot of time and work for what is essentially still a cow.

Hybrid

got10 said:
Hybrid said:
dragonmetalhead said:

Trying to figure out the math of 3/8 of an animal process here. Please elaborate on that one.
If half of a half is a quarter . So would it mean that you would have to breed a full cow with an animal that is only a quarter buffalo ?. That would sound like a lot of time and work for what is essentially still a cow.
Breed a 50/50 cow bison hybrid to a 75/25 Cow bison hybrid and there you go. This has been found to produce an animal with the most desirable traits. Beefalo is considered a pure cow breed(I don't know why though, it doesn't matter which breed of cow was used in the hybrid either). Any cow bison hybrid with more than 3/8 bison is just considered a bison hybrid. I think its the "perfect" cow breed when compared to any other cow :)
The only reason I know this is because I accidentally signed up for an agriculture class lol

Dana C

Once again I have a couple of thoughts on the matter.
While I can't be positive, it may be that some of their range may over lap. If so one would think that inter breeding would have already occurred, which to my knowledge it hasn't. Once again, I will hang my hat on, "It is just what I thing based upon my humble knowledge".
My second thought would be that a larger Tegu, i.e. a Merianea, wouldn't breed with a Columbian but feed on it if it could. Smaller lizard = big meal.

got10

Hybrid said:
got10 said:
Hybrid said:
dragonmetalhead said:

Breed a 50/50 cow bison hybrid to a 75/25 Cow bison hybrid and there you go. This has been found to produce an animal with the most desirable traits. Beefalo is considered a pure cow breed(I don't know why though, it doesn't matter which breed of cow was used in the hybrid either). Any cow bison hybrid with more than 3/8 bison is just considered a bison hybrid. I think its the "perfect" cow breed when compared to any other cow :)
The only reason I know this is because I accidentally signed up for an agriculture class lol

Thats is very informative . It shows im never too old to learn.Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980