• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Is it possible...

krestiekate

5 Year Member
To tame a columbian like an argentina? My guy is only 107 grams right now and had never whipped his tail or opened his mouth at me. Dose the agressive behavior come with age? I've wanted a tegu for years and originaly wanted an argentina. I can find hardly any info on columbians. I ended up with a columbian in a trade. The guy traded it to me as an argentina whee I got home I realized there where two scales between the nose but I figured oh well because he's so calm. We took him to the vet today and he has a super clean bill of health. I really don't want anouther agressive lizard. My boyfriend dosn't spend time with his red iguana like he should and I don't want the same to happen to our tegu. I will be his primary care giver. He's in my office/rep room right now with my frilled dragon,blue tongue skinks and crested geckos. I'm currently feeding him dubia roaches and he had a little bit of wet catfood yesterday. He was interested in licking all the juice from teh grapes in his cage but not eatting them. Do these guys not like veggies? Any info that people wanna throw in they can. The more I read the more it seems that columbians are just nasty buggers. I hope it's possible to keep Buddha the way he is now.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i am not sure about this subject, i was wondering the same thing a few years ago when i had my first tegu which was a colunbian. he never tail whipped me or tried to bite me. and up until i had to rehome he never changed after about 2 years. so i guess there are exceptions i handled him everyday so maybe that helped. good luck

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
Congrats on your new Tegu. I'm happy to hear that he is healthy. They must off taken very good care of him. There are some columbian Tegus out there that can be very tame. Since he hasn't tried to whipp or bite you and seems to be very tame already I would handle him every day so he will stay this way. Some Tegus can have some mood swings when they are shedding or getting in to the puperty stage. How old is your Tegu ? It would be great if you could post some pictures off him ;) . Thank you. Oh, one more thing. I almost forgot. columbians usually don't like to eat fruits and veggies but I heard before that some do.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
How's it going with your tegu?

Keep spending time with it. Colombians are just a bit more skittish than Argentines, but neither of mine are aggressive.

Marlene

5 Year Member
Argentine tegus have two loreal scales, Colombians have one (the scale between the eye and nostril). So if it has two, then it is an Argentine Tegu. I hope that helps!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu