• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Is this a normal rate of growth?

tommylee22

Hey guys/gals,

I wanted to post some more licks of my little guy, well not so little anymore and only getting bigger by what seems the day. I've had Biggin now for almost a month (will be a month on the 9th). He's growing like crazy! I mean I've never seen something grow so fast. Is this normal???? I've posted some pics from day one and then 10 days after his arrival and then pics from tonight 8_2_12. Don't get me wrong I'm proud of his growth but he's going to be a monster at this rate.

This could be totally normal as this is my first Extreme Tegu let me know what you guys think..

Here are pics from the 9th of July when I got him.
face1.jpg

Biggin7_13_12.jpg

sideview.jpg

Here are some pics 10 days after I got him.

Biggin7_23_12_.jpg

Biggin7_23_12.jpg

Here are pics from today.
Bigginsgrowth3.jpg

Bigginsgrowth4.jpg

Fatboy.jpg

Bigginsgrowth1.jpg

tommylee22

Bntegus said:
tegus are tegus they like to eat that is great if they grow like yours normal all the way.

It just blows my mind, I was told they grow fast but that much in less than a month is crazy!

tommylee22

I feed the whole ground animals from that Site I posted. Rabbit/turkey/quail eggs/Dubia/grapes/horn worms once in a while, had a little ground beef a couple times hmmm what else, Oh 3 pinkies a day on weekends with Dubias... Dude just seems to get bigger and bigger, how's yours doing? I know yours is from same clutch, got any pics?? please post them I'd love to see

Skeetzy

Tegu looks awesome! I hope my B&W grows like that hahah.

On a side note, how much of that whole ground animal have you gone through? I'm actually so excited about that site you posted, never even thought of looking for something like that. I'm about to place my order for mine coming next week, and want to order enough for a short time. How many lbs you think you go through a week?

tommylee22

Skeetzy said:

On a side note, how much of that whole ground animal have you gone through? I'm actually so excited about that site you posted, never even thought of looking for something like that. I'm about to place my order for mine coming next week, and want to order enough for a short time. How many lbs you think you go through a week?

I went out and bought the smallest zip lock bags I could find, mixed in the ground up quail eggs and rabbit and then did the same with the whole turkey. I put like a large table spoon scoop in each bag. he doesn't always eat all of it but he really loves that stuff way better than ground meats like turkey and egg.. all that bone/organs and added quail egg shell and all really makes him happy.

bmx3000max

Yea ill post pics tomorow...you can cheack his thread im always updateing it...and jw whats yhe whole food website?

tommylee22

bmx3000max said:
Yea ill post pics tomorow...you can cheack his thread im always updateing it...and jw whats yhe whole food website?

I have it as a quick link so here you go :)
https://www.hare-today.com

Skeetzy

tommylee22 said:
Skeetzy said:

I went out and bought the smallest zip lock bags I could find, mixed in the ground up quail eggs and rabbit and then did the same with the whole turkey. I put like a large table spoon scoop in each bag. he doesn't always eat all of it but he really loves that stuff way better than ground meats like turkey and egg.. all that bone/organs and added quail egg shell and all really makes him happy.

Oh man, so like 5 lbs should definitely last awhile, at least while he's young :p

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Totally normal. There was a period of time when guru would shed 2-3 times a week.

tmc001

wow man....I can't believe it, your baby is a monster. My baby is from same clutch and only 14in now, he doesn't eat a lot everyday, always left foods there.

tommylee22

tmc001 said:
wow man....I can't believe it, your baby is a monster. My baby is from same clutch and only 14in now, he doesn't eat a lot everyday, always left foods there.

That's what I thought after seeing other pics of extremes from same clutch. People say it's normal thou so I guess they all just chose when they want to grow. He's just not the same lizard each day it seems he's bigger. I'll continue to document his growth every 10 days or so if he continues to grow at this rate.

tmc001

tommylee22 said:
tmc001 said:

That's what I thought after seeing other pics of extremes from same clutch. People say it's normal thou so I guess they all just chose when they want to grow. He's just not the same lizard each day it seems he's bigger. I'll continue to document his growth every 10 days or so if he continues to grow at this rate.

How much meat you feed him everyday?

apocalypse910

I believe my tegu is from the same batch - I couldn't believe how fast he's been growing. After seeing yours I'm seriously worried that he's undersized.

larissalurid

Yea don't worry they all grow at different rates. Depending on how much / often they eat, sleep, and just because they are an individual. They aren't like little clones lol.

apocalypse910

God - I love that first pic. Looks like a chubby little T-Rex. Adorable.

larissalurid said:
Yea don't worry they all grow at different rates. Depending on how much / often they eat, sleep, and just because they are an individual. They aren't like little clones lol.

Thanks - wasn't too concerned, just can't believe the size of that tegu. Probably just in new tegu owner paranoia mode :D.I swear though mine has grown since I made that last post. He kept bugging me until I let him out for an entire second dinner.

tmc001

I did some research and find out they do grow at different rates, thanks guys...............I just a little worry about how much they should eat everyday, because mine only eats a little ground turkey everyday.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu