• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

is this right for a tegu setup?

ReptileFanatic!

5 Year Member
Hey, im about to get my first tegu soon.. and i was wondering if this is the right setup?
A 100-125W Solar glo ( like a powersun) and then a 150W sun glo to make the temps up to about 105'F. this is gonna be in a 4ft long x 2ft high x 2ft depth wooden vivarium.

artist

5 Year Member
what about UVB and substrate and hides?
other than that, sounds okay to me! good luck with your tegu!!:)

ReptileFanatic!

5 Year Member
yeah the solar glo contains UV :) also hides ive got and substrate ive ordered a 20 kilo sack of orchid back, and thanks ! :( if only i wasnt so depressed ;/

TehPenguin

5 Year Member
I've heard a lot of bad things about the Solar Glo products. I would get a Powersun, or better yet a mega ray.

PinkPunisher

5 Year Member
TehPenguin said:
I've heard a lot of bad things about the Solar Glo products.

Like what? I've yet to hear anything bad about them, I'm using them and they are working fine. I don't usually use them but it was those or no UVB for at least 2 weeks.

Spencer

TehPenguin

5 Year Member
I've heard everything from eye problems to prolonged use causing MBD. Personally, I wouldn't take the chance of using it for a permanent source. I suppose it's fine for 2 weeks. My bearded dragon is stuck using a coil until next week.

CaterpillarGiraffe

5 Year Member
I've heard a lot of bad things about Solar Glo's. Some people even say it has been the leading cause of MBD in their young Tegus.

Powersun's or Mega Ray's to me are the best.

omgtaylorg

5 Year Member
Powersun 100%, hands down. If you cant, then Id go megaray, other than that I wouldnt buy it. Simple as that.

CaterpillarGiraffe

5 Year Member
Also something I might add- the Solar Glo bulbs ONLY contain UVA, no UVB. So that will not suffice.

You need another bulb as well or you will run into some problems.

AB^

5 Year Member
I just want to point out that 2 100watt+ bulbs in a wooden enclosure that size mightbe a bit of overkill , I only used a 150 halogen for my tegus in 4 x 2 x 2 wood cages and that was on a thermostat. Then again I know England is a lot colder than California. Just something to keep in mind.

GOT_TEGUS

5 Year Member
Agree with AB. Better yet make a out side enclosure for your GU that way you need NO uva/uvb lighting nothin beats sunshine.

tegusaurus

5 Year Member
GOT_TEGUS said:
Agree with AB. Better yet make a out side enclosure for your GU that way you need NO uva/uvb lighting nothin beats sunshine.

but what about if its mostly cloudy where they live? Wont that be a problem? Or rainy seasons?

And i didnt know solar glos onl had uva

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029