• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

just got home from the vet with tegu

preston897

well fortunatly he is not impacted nor does he have a parasite. he has overactive bacteria in his GI tract that causes a sever upset stomach. he was given an antibiotic/deworming treatment. he still needs to more treatments of it over the next 4 weeks. this first dose should improve him and his diet. if it does improve over the next few days he will get the other doses. if not then we will just have to go from there

goodtimes

5 Year Member
Sounds like good news. Good job on taking him to the vet! Did the vet tell you what could have caused it?

preston897

she said it could be stress or to much fat in the diet. i need to cut back the liver. and she said usually on imports you dont see the stress of the shipping and all of that for a few months. it takes them a while to get sick.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Glad to hear your tegu is going to be fine, but I find it strange that she gave it a dewormer when it was not needed, I do not like a vet that doses an animal for things they do not find.

Did she do a float on him?

preston897

what is a float? and she gave the dewormer as a precaution. it was just part of the treatment that she gave him. whenever she sees a herp with this sort of thing thats what she gives. and she said 90% of the time it shows good results within the first few days. she is actually a very good vet. very knowledgeable. she knew quite a bit about tegus as well

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
A float is a type of fecal exam where they mix saline solution with the feces before checking it out under a microscope. You can use a larger sample of poop so there's a smaller chance of missing something as opposed to a smear which uses a very small portion of the feces.

preston897

im not sure. i think she just did a smear though. she said said there was no protozoa just a huge happy colony of bacteria. it is normal to have some. but he just had way to much.

txrepgirl

5 Year Member
I'm glad you took him to the vet and found out what it is. I havent heard of this one yet so I just learned something new :) . Thank you for keeping us posted. Hope all goes well.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nutz4tegus