• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Just woke up, should I start feeding?

thomasjg23

My yearling began hibernation mid november and today i caught him drinking from the water dish I keep full for him. I figured he would just go back to bed but now he is walking around his tank like he looking for something stoping to bask a couple times. Should I start feeding? If so, how much?

G

I would give him a day or two [at least ] make sure he has fresh water ..If you want him to go back to sleep try not offering light for a day . [what I would do ] Other wise keep a light on for him while he is up .. If he gets up for a couple more days you could try feeding him [he may or may not eat ] .. You don`t want him going into hibernation with food in his belly .... Fun to see him I bet !!!

slideaboot

5 Year Member
Well, if you offer food and he eats, let him eat. I wouldn't over-think it. Oftentimes, tegus will "wake up" from hibernation, grab some sun (light), drink some water, and, occasionally eat--only to go back to bed (hibernation) for a while.

I've got an extreme that does this every 4-5 days--sometimes every 7-10 days. Sometimes she eats, other times she doesn't.

thomasjg23

Thanks for the fast replies! I feel like he is looking for food but a second later he just starts digging so Idk. I'd rather him be up, seeing him out already made me excited. So should I feed him alittle? Haha I feel like I got some mixed reviews!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phi Long