• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

LEAVING TEGU OUTSIDE - BUT HE RUNS FROM THE SUN

dadasgirl

5 Year Member
We live in the midwest - Chicago- so temps are finally at a point where I can leave my guy outside during the better part of the day.

His "outside" enclosure is simply an extra large/long rubbermaid tote with the top taken off - newspaper bedding, water dish and a hide.

My guy needs all the natural UVB he can get - he's calcium deficient and thanx to you guys - he's on the road to better days...but when he's outside he soaks up about 20 minutes of sun - then runs to the hide. I've tried taking the hide out completely but he burrows under the newspaper.

We've had warm days - nothing oppresive - mid 80's at max - so I though he would welcome the supplemental sun heat. His "inside" enclosure has built in heat in the floor underneath his hide - so I realize he may be acting on habit - but I need him to soak up the rays.

Any ideas?

kaa

5 Year Member
He might just be scared, if he isn't used to being outside. Just give him some time.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I think it might be getting too hot in the tub; he needs a cool side regardless of the enclosure. 20 minutes is fine to help with his problem, if he can get that each day he will improve. You say it is mid 80s, but that is ambient temperature, the surface temps in the tub might be much hotter. You need to watch out, he could over heat, tegus are not stupid, they know when it is time to cool off, and he needs a cool place in your outside tub. If tegus are kept at a constant temperature of 90*F they will perish if they cannot cool off. The underneath heater on your enclosure needs to be removed or turned off, there is no underground heat in the wild, tegus go underground to cool off, not to warm up. Sounds like your tegu is running from the sun because he is getting too hot.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Also, you need to read my care sheet, I think it will help you a bunch:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?t=20</a><!-- l -->

dadasgirl

5 Year Member
Thanks guys - this makes so much sense that it makes me feel kind of dumb that I didnt realize it on my own.

We have disabled the underground heating in his inside tank - so room temps and Mega Ray lamp is all the heat he gets until winter time.

The outside tank - is long enough where he can retreat to a cooler side. Our enclosed balcony - where I want him to sunbathe - gets some mid morning sun rays - but by 2PM the actual direct sunlight has moved on.

I've printed the care sheets and are combing through all the details again - I now feel confident that my little guy is gonna make it.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phi Long