• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

looking for a water monitor

frost

1,000+ Post Club
my fiance has been looking for a water monitor since we were gonna get a pair of normals but couldent. so i was wondering if anyone had any asian water monitors or know where to get some that can be trusted.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Unless you buy from prehistoric pets or nerd, you are going to more than likely be getting a WC animal. They are generally 50-50 on their health. Your best bet is to buy from a big name like Ben Siegel to have a better chance. There were a couple of older waters on fauna recently that looked to be very nice.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ProExotics has stop their water monitor stock. They use to get some screaming nice colored watr monitors back in the day. Think they are foucesing more on captive breed.

I second Ben Siegel! I got my caiman lizard from him. Even though he is farmed he has the best personality and is in great health. Not to mention get on his Facebook auction a nice looking water monitor went for under $70 last night.

BSM

5 Year Member
I hope you know what your in for, a monitor of that size requires at least a 12x4 min floor space for one!!! and this floor space is still too small for an adult argus which is only around 5 feet and more then half the thickness of a water. If your looking for a "tame" monitor its not going to happen, the sick ones are the only ones that are "tame" by any means, they can get use to your presents with time.

The other thing too, a pair your best bet would be to raise 2 or 3 from babies together and hopefully get 1.2 or 2.1 as small quarters is stressfull thats why unless you have somewhere huge to put them you should pass and look to smaller species. Most monitors out there are WC and any claims you here about being CBB (besides AU species) ask for pictures as most are bs to get more money. If you want a CBB monitor send me a pm and i will send you a few peoples emails who breed.

*make sure you are allowed to have them in your state as for example here in NY water monitors not allowed*

Good luck
Bryan

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
BSM said:
I hope you know what your in for, a monitor of that size requires at least a 12x4 min floor space for one!!! and this floor space is still too small for an adult argus which is only around 5 feet and more then half the thickness of a water. If your looking for a "tame" monitor its not going to happen, the sick ones are the only ones that are "tame" by any means, they can get use to your presents with time.

The other thing too, a pair your best bet would be to raise 2 or 3 from babies together and hopefully get 1.2 or 2.1 as small quarters is stressfull thats why unless you have somewhere huge to put them you should pass and look to smaller species. Most monitors out there are WC and any claims you here about being CBB (besides AU species) ask for pictures as most are bs to get more money. If you want a CBB monitor send me a pm and i will send you a few peoples emails who breed.

*make sure you are allowed to have them in your state as for example here in NY water monitors not allowed*

Good luck
Bryan

There are some things I disagree with here...
Argus and Salvators are two completely different monsters, Argus are alot more active and will require more space because of this. 12x6 is probably a more accurate floor space for an adult Salvator.

There are actually quite a few people who have "tame" water monitors, and they aren't sick.

And yes most are WC, but there are a couple people and shops that are breeding V. Salvator.

What species do you have breeders for?

frost

1,000+ Post Club
thanks guys i think ill try ben,=] i appreciate it. o not to be rude but im well aware of the requirements for having a big lizard like that,iv been studying lizards and their husbandry since i was a little kid.

o and i would be interested in the breeders,i like buying from breeders most cases are they have better babies.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Tame water monitors are nothing unsual for reptile people. I would never recomend a water for a begginer, but Frost seems to know what he is doing from his interaction on this forum. Now i know water monitors might not get as tame as say a tegu or as easily but its not as rare as say a nile. There are so many different types of monitors and they all are different. My argus was a major pain but he was a hoot to watch.

I say if you got the time, the room and the food budget go for it. Like i said earlier Ben is a great guy to do business with, keep in mind he is very busy at times.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
chelvis said:
Tame water monitors are nothing unsual for reptile people. I would never recomend a water for a begginer, but Frost seems to know what he is doing from his interaction on this forum. Now i know water monitors might not get as tame as say a tegu or as easily but its not as rare as say a nile. There are so many different types of monitors and they all are different. My argus was a major pain but he was a hoot to watch.

I say if you got the time, the room and the food budget go for it. Like i said earlier Ben is a great guy to do business with, keep in mind he is very busy at times.
haha wow a compliment.=] i do have one question tho.there are two variations of waters.one of the sumatran and one is an asian.some are making it out me be the same but i dont think they are. what one would be the better of the two? iv read that asians are the better of the two.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
There are actually about 5 variations of the water monitor. The "sumatran" is the most common in the pet trade, it is actually Varanus Salvator Macromaculatus. The asian, (Varanus Salvator Salvator) is from Sri Lanka which no longer allows exportation so they are harder to come by.

Here are the other subspecies-
Varanus Salvator Bivittatus - in the pet trade
Varanus Salvator Komaini - in the pet trade, known as Black Dragon, fairly expensive (one of my dream lizards)
Varanus Salvator Andamanensis - rare if any in the pet trade

Were once subspecies of Salvator, but now are their own species-
Varanus Cumingi - awesome if you can get your hands on one.
Varanus Marmoratus
Varanus Nuchalis
Varanus Togianus

There are actually 5 variations of water monitor, the Sumatran (Varanus Salvator Macromaculatus) is the most common in the pet trade. The asian (Varanus Salvator Salvator) is from Sri Lanka which no longer allows exportation so they are harder to come by. Most will be adults.

The other 3 are -
Varanus Salvator Bivittatus - attainable in the pet trade
Varanus Salvator Komaini - AKA Black Dragon, fairly expensive, but one of my dream lizards
Varanus Salvator Andamanensis - few if any in captivity

These use to be subspecies of Salvator, but are now their own species
Varanus Cumingi - awesome animal if you have the money and can find one
Varanus Marmoratus
Varanus Nuchalis
Varanus Togianus

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Varanus Salvator Salvator is the ones with the most yellow on them most of the time. They are much harder to find now than just five years ago. Temperments I have hear are about the same depending on which suppler you get them from.

Ah man a Varanus Cumingi would be amaszing!!! Those are not cheep. Now this has me thinking of getting a monitor again. Thanks! lol.

frost

1,000+ Post Club
thanks, i have noticed that the Asians do get a lot of yellow and look awesome.never heard of Varanus Cumingi before but they look really cool. i like how much yellow they have.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
chelvis said:
Varanus Salvator Salvator is the ones with the most yellow on them most of the time. They are much harder to find now than just five years ago. Temperments I have hear are about the same depending on which suppler you get them from.

Ah man a Varanus Cumingi would be amaszing!!! Those are not cheep. Now this has me thinking of getting a monitor again. Thanks! lol.

Varanus Salvator Salvator is actually one of the darker of the waters, V.S. Macromaculatus is the one with the yellow.

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Never was good with the sub speices. This vid always makes me want one even more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GepnvF1RYG4&feature=related

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
That is actually a V.S. Macromaculatus, Sumatran water monitor.

And who says they will never be tame???

BSM

5 Year Member
james.w said:
That is actually a V.S. Macromaculatus, Sumatran water monitor.

And who says they will never be tame???

there are alot of facts at play and those facts are temp amongst other things but im not gonna go in to it.. The reason i was putting "tame" is everyones def. of it is different for example if it bits its not tame but if it doesnt its tame. As for that example above is bascially from kids assuming that and in the end the animal dies and they blame a pet store or breeder when it is really too low of temps and screen tanks.

As i stated it can get use to your presents but it takes a long time espically wild caught monitors, nothing in my post is directed at any person and is just a general statment so no one gets over excited and goes for it and it doesnt end up the way they thought.

What species do you have breeders for?
here are some but there are a few more as some are still working on the whole process, also the list below is from one breeder and he hatches them out on the yearly basics which most people cant even breed a single specie constantly.

kimberly rock
red ackies
yellow ackies
blacked headed monitors
Flavi (true AU sand monitors)
Argus

The problem with monitors is they are so abused in the pet trade and are thrown on to kids as dispsable pets as the wild caughts are so cheap. Thats one reason you wont see barely any true CBB savannahs or most indo or african species bred in capitivity. The perfect example is the savannahs as hundreds of thousands come in each year but how many adults you see barely any as most die to due impropper care.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I agree that they generally aren't going to be tame and that should never be a reason for obtaining any animal. I also agree with your statement of rarely seeing african and indo species being CBB. Maybe if they stopped the exportation of them (like Australia) there would be more captive breeding going on.

An Argus is the next monitor on my list, well that or a Prasinus. I already have a breeder that I will be getting one from though.

BSM

5 Year Member
Argus and argus/flavi crosses are proablly the best entertainment of the bunch for the larger species, really miss mine cool monitors and hopefully with the new house im in i can fit a pair of something else soon besides the 1.2 adult reds tegu i have now. These are the first editions to this house now just got due start on the other cages (lot of time and money)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980