• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Looking for Tegu to be shipped to canada

mandy89

hello as the title states i am looking for an Argentine Tegu (must be Argentine as looking for a dog tame tegu and Colombians are too aggressive) to be shipped to Canada. Doesn't matter what color the Tegu is looking for a young Tegu. if anyone has a baby/young please message again must be able to be shipped to canada

spark678

currenlty big apple herps does not have babbies in stock. they want to put you on a list. and they keep making posts advertising 150 but on the site it says 180. when you email them about it they say the price keeps fluctuating but will have some shortly.

kellen.watkins

There are no WC argentine black and whites technically, its illeagal to export from argentina, some find their way here from leather farms though

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
kellen.watkins said:
There are no WC argentine black and whites technically, its illeagal to export from argentina, some find their way here from leather farms though

I don't think this is true. So you are saying all argentine Tegus are CBB, reds and black & whites.

jdpFL

What about the wild population in South FL? As far as none being WC. We are so tempted to go down there and go tegu huntin'......get us some gu's for free...lol. I'm sure when the animal control people get them, they're probably euthanized? Who knows.

got10

jdpFL said:
What about the wild population in South FL? As far as none being WC. We are so tempted to go down there and go tegu huntin'......get us some gu's for free...lol. I'm sure when the animal control people get them, they're probably euthanized? Who knows.

Not a bad Idea . Do you need a trapping permit though from the state of Fla?

jdpFL

Permit schermit. Lol. Just kidding. I'm sure you do or there's some law against it. But it would be so neat to go get some. They don't want them there anyway!

j.sawyer48

Those wild gu's are nasty and will kill lol i was watchin a thing on animal planet about it i dont think they euthinize the tegus just relocate em but i dunno if u would need a permit for hunting an advasive species

jdpFL

Ha ha Jsawyer....I saw that on animal planet too. They were grabbing the poor things by the tail so of course they tried to bite. They probably are a lot different than CB's though. Still, I just want to go down there and see one! Can't imagine a wild, aggressive tegu, but maybe they are...

Might come home with less than ten fingers, and no tegu, lol!

j.sawyer48

I would assume they were pretty nasty if there not used to human contact you saw the part were the guy got in between the tegu and his dog and it bit his finger off lol. I think they were grabben em by the tail cause they wip like a mofo but I would also like to go down to fl and hunt some gus lol

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
I think the show on ap is a load of crap and bull mixed with all that other stuff. Next show will be on the "aggressive corn snake that ate my dog".

I doubt the re locate them all the way back to where it is they came from, they just keep it simple and euthanize them or kill it on sight if that's what it takes. Sigh.......

No human contact? Was more than likely someone pet who grew to large for them or couldn't keep up with feeding cost and decided to just dump it. Although i highly doubt their are s many tegu's wild over in FL as AP is putting off. Same thing with the burms, notice that most of the burmese python footage was ball pythons, ahhhhh the aggressive ball python. Like the scene at the playground where the ball python was scoping out children playing, all while they are talking about Burmese pythons???

jtpowers

Yeah, I saw that. Here's what I got out of it:

1) Most cases of the "aggressive" tegus in yards were the result of tegus being attracted to dog or cat food left out for pets.

2) Said pet for whom food was originally intended (big outside dog) confronts tegu, man jumps in to break it up and gets bitten by something in the process (presumably the tegu).

3) AP insinuates (dramatic music, carefully worded implications, camera effects) that the tegus are lurking in the 'burbs, just waiting for the opportunity to wrestle children and pets to the ground and rip out their throats. Since they don't actually SAY that (they just create the dramatic illusions and implications for entertainment and ratings), it's hard to say that they are completely inaccurate.

Most interesting of all was the ONE "horrible" injury they showed. Two photos - one of a bloodied hand, the other of an X-ray of the same hand. The finger wasn't "bitten off" - but hey, there's blood, an X-ray, and bones in those photos, so it must be bad, right? In fact, it looks like the bone was completely intact. What DID happen was that the tip of that finger (skin and part of the pad) was severed, much as if you cut your fingertip while slicing an apple. I'm sure it bled like a stuck pig and was painful as hell. But seriously - that's the worst of it? A guy gets in the middle of his Rottweiler attacking a 4 foot lizard and he gets a fingertip kitchen injury?

Another scene was of tegus being attracted to cat food on the lady's back porch. The tegus weren't happy at later attempts at capture and acted like I'd expect they would, which is around about half the danger level of a cornered feral cat or small terrier.

A third scene was a tegu that had been cornered into a bathroom at what looked to be a public pool. It skittered and hissed and tail whipped when further cornered for capture.

It was particularly amusing when they set the trap for the 'gu... hmm...what have they found best to bait the trap for such a nightmare beast with? A goat carcass? The still-warm heart of a freshly slaughtered pig? A tied-down, live and thrashing chicken? Um, no. An egg. I actually laughed out loud.

All I kept thinking throughout was that the tegus were 1) no more invasive than feral cats, 2) less dangerous when cornered than feral cats, 3) less likely to carry a dread disease (e.g. rabies) than feral cats, 4) a damn sight easier to catch than feral cats, 5) slower breeders than feral cats, and 6) less of a threat to domestic pets than feral cats. Not to mention, a hell of a lot quieter when going about their roaming than feral cats.

Perhaps AP should do a high-drama show about the stalking, lurking, bloodthirsty, diminutive relatives of the sabertooth and cave lion that are merely biding their time, awaiting the opportunity to pounce on the young, elderly, and infirm.

I could donate footage of myself trying to restrain my otherwise mellow housecat for a bath; they wouldn't even have to use rapid cutaway filming and sinister music to convince people that he is the devil incarnate. In fact, if I INSIST on giving him the full showerhead rinsedown in the tub, well, then, I think live footage of various bleeding extremities and stills of, maybe, a portion of my ear missing are distinct possibilities for at least a few minutes of the show.

I have to say, for the most part the Animal Control folks looked and sounded like they knew what they were doing, and did it professionally, but the AP "enhanced drama" and edited footage of interviews really made it look ominous (and borderline comical to a whole lot of reptile folks.)

j.sawyer48 said:
I would assume they were pretty nasty if there not used to human contact you saw the part were the guy got in between the tegu and his dog and it bit his finger off lol. I think they were grabben em by the tail cause they wip like a mofo but I would also like to go down to fl and hunt some gus lol

Oh, and geez... I just realized we've threadjacked the OP's question about tegu shipping to Canada in a major way. My apologies, just got fired up about the Animal Planet discussion.

I wasn't aware that there were importation troubles for CB tegus from places like Varnyard or Underground into Canada, I guess I had never paid attention to it. Anyone able to help with the question? If you live in Canada, how do you best go about getting a tegu?

orchetect

Thanks for the info - I am also in Canada and searching for Argentine B&W tegus. I will try fauna and kingsnake forums.

I asked Varnyard about shipping to Canada and got a blanket response saying it could cost up to $1000 for CITES permits, vet checks, and other paperwork - not including the price of the animal. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but I have not done the research myself yet.

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It can be very costly to ship out of the US. He would need to follow our laws and Canadas laws.
http://www.anapsid.org/resources/shipping.html

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980