• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Loosing claws

isdrake

5 Year Member
First of all I want to say that I had an appointment with the vet yesterday. But the vet that are specialized in reptiles are sick so I'm waiting to get another appointment. I don't think this is urgent.

One of our Tegus (b/w argentine) are loosing her claws. My first though was shedding problems. She did have problem with her first shedding then she came to us. The guy the get her from didn't seem to take good care of her. =(

However with good lighting, humidity and lots of food (calcium/vitamins) she's doing great and haven't had any problem with shedding since that one time. She skins comes off really nice.

After I had investigated her toes I found out that the claws are still there, they are just very short. Like they just been breaking off.

We house our two Tegus together and the other one doesn't have these problems. So I don't think it has something to do with the enclosure.

I think that she has some sort of deficit from before. So that her claws simply are more vulnerable.

Do you have any ideas of what might be causing this? I really would appreciate your opinions. I'm so worried.

Excuse me for my bad grammar. I have never been good at English and i did have difficulties writing this post.

themedic

although i am a complete noob, as long as its feet are not decaying off id say your tegu can recover, chances are the humidity in the cage was low, and maybe the owner before did not have anytype of UBV spectrum light in the cage, if you provide it calcium supplements and UVB light and high humidity maybe the claws will grow back!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980