• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Lost!

Ferdinand

Hey guys. I just want to know how many people have had experience with a lost Tegu.

Sophie has gotten pretty big over the years and it's never been hard to keep track of her. She's been sleeping for several weeks but popped out for a day to let me know she was a bit hungry or thirsty. She ate a little bit and drank some water and it looked like she went back to sleep.

But somehow with all of this I made two possibly fatal mistakes on the same day. I didn't close my door all the way, and I forgot to firmly latch her door after making sure she was alright. Come the end of the day, she's escaped. Now escaping isn't something I'm unused to, she's gotten lost about 4 times in her life but she's always popped back out when she decided to bug me. Easy to hear her cause she starts scratching carpet. But it's cold and the house is a general 68 degrees, it's pretty dry and she's managed to remain lost for over a week.

Water bowls are all over, heat lamps in 2 spots to lure her out. No sign. I fear she might be sleeping somewhere I can't find (checked every known spot she has an affinity for. Certain dressers, furniture.) I swear I've torn my house up twice over. She's somewhere good that I can't find.

No known entry or exit ports, can't fit under stove, fridge, kitchen, checked boiler room (Though that was closed, she couldn't get in I don't think but it never hurts to check.)

I've never not found her, but she's never escaped during sleeping season either. Any suggestions would be appreciated, or similar stories. I'm feeling like a really terrible tegu owner and if she dies I have no idea what I'll do.

nightanole

Mines always behind a board, or under a pile of cloths. he is never under a bed or under furniture.

Im guessing she is "in" the couch.

You could always put out hides and check them daily. Just lay some 4ft long pieces of plywood along the wall. Mine loves the wide selection of 8ft pieces i have in one of my closets. I just go through them like pages of a book till i hear huffing.

onnie0047

My oldest Female, flew the coup during a bath when I ran to answer the phone, and was gone for 8 months from just before winter to use after winter 2017-2018. Never figured out where she went to, although that year, we never saw a house mouse (we live in the country). When she showed back up she was twice the size as when she left. I found her back in the same bathroom where she escaped. By then I had bought a second BW tegu. When I walked passed the bathroom something caught my eye, I look and see a Tegu. I though it was my 2nd Tegu and yelled Oscar what in the heck are you doing here....just then I noticed it had a full tail, Oscar's Tail broke off the first week I had her and re-grew back in black. I immediately realized it was Magawi, My original Black and White, which I had given up on finding again. Both Magawi and Oscar separately have also gotten out by using their nails and opening the sliding glass door, I now have a glass door lock on it. I always find them in the closet next to their winter cage, laying on he cold tile floor. go figure. Any ways, I have had to make sure I keep those doors close and locked, they have no problem sliding them open to escape if I don't. .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu