• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Marking?

AP27

I have a 2 1/2 year old male mexican black kingsnake, Vincent. Every time I take him out for exploring time, at some point or another he'll open his vent a little, stick his tail in the air, and drags his butt on me. Sometimes there is a very tiny amount of liquid, but never an odor. Is he marking me. or what? He doesn't do it to the ground or furniture, or to anyone else. Just me. I was hoping maybe someone could shed some light on this behavior for me.
Thanks a bunch.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Very interesting... I've never heard of this myself. Can anyone else shed some light on what this snake is doing?

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I once read that snakes have anal scent glands which they secrete a substance from that could mean 3 things:

1. Attract a mate
2. Provide protection from predators
3. Mark territory

It could be any of those I guess.

AP27

So he thinks i'm a possible mate, is protecting me from predators, or marking me?:huh: lol. I don't know why he does it and I couldn't find anything to explain it. I guess I have a snake boyfriend now. Or at least he thinks so lol. Or something.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
Kingsnakes musk when stressed. Smells horrid. Snakes aren't really territorial animals and if Vincent is used to being handled I doubt he views you as a predator. Probably a mating thing. I gotta ask, you 100% the snake is male? I know females to the marking thing to attract mates.

You sure he isn't just voiding himself?

AP27

Yes. 100% male. he was sexed by his breeder. And its not musking, there's never any odor and that snake is the calmest, hardest to stress snake I know lol. Voiding? He doesn't really stick anything out if that's what you mean.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
What I meant by voiding was are you sure the snake isn't just peeing on you. Most fluids that come out of a snake's cloaca are pretty stinky, so I'm kinda baffled by your situation. Maybe there's a snake forum that can better help you. Let us know when you find out for sure. Sorry I couldn't help more.

AP27

No...don't think he's peeing....usually there isn't even any liquid...and if there is its only a drop. Its no problem. Thanks for offering up your opinions. Perhaps I'll investigate it further one of these days.

AP27

Some pics of Vincent.

DSCI0031.jpg

DSCI0035.jpg

He loves to drape himself around your shoulders and ride around the house all day. :)
DSCI0040.jpg

The only part on him that isn't black, his little white chin.
DSCI0039.jpg

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
What a handsome snake! The Mexican blacks are always so glossy, I just love them. My friend has one named Billium who's about 5 feet and has the white spots under the chin as well.

AP27

Vincent's about 4ft. Billium, haha. The name amuses me. And thank you. :) I love his little chin spots. And the iridescent belly scales are beautiful on these snakes. Though his are a little dull right now as he's getting ready to shed soon.

AP27

Kimmie said:
such beautiful snake you have there :)

makes me want one xD

Why thank you :) They're great snakes, and from what I've seen the Mexican blacks tend to be a little more docile than some of the other kingsnake species.

dragonmetalhead said:
He's named after a character played by Keenan Thompson on SNL.
Ah. Gotcha. Still amusing lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029