• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

MONSTROSITY AT PETCO!!

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
If you wait long enough I'm sure they will end up lowering the price like they did with my carpet python. . . Unfortunately you'll have to 'undo ' whatever the poor care has done once you aquire him. I am dealing with a ravenous beast who attacks my (gloved) hand with ferocity. Haha. I was just today considering not wearing gloves to 'see ' if he(she) will get used to me better without gloves. HOWEVER I'm not entirely on board with getting my hands chewed up by a crazy carpet python... haha. Ugh. I may just have to 'bite the bullet ' and try though. How bad can it 'really ' hurt? (Anyone...?) :/

arianametz

BatGirl1 said:
Dubya said:
Petco should not carry any animals at all. I have seen Petco here in NY label Columbians as B&W's too. Any reptile bought from Petco should be considered a rescue.

I consider my jungle carpet a rescue. By the way, same petco i got him(her) from had same columbian story...tiny standard tank same as every other beast in row. And yep.dish of tiny mealworms in the cage. :/ actually they didn't know what type it was until i pointed out the nose and markings. (Columbian or argentine). Anyway... i got my carpet cuz was there for months and months, and he kept getting larger and tank was abysmally small and his price kept going down so we got him for 125. (From 275 or...i forget...maybe higher) he's really headshy and bites the crap out of my gloved hand but at least he's going into a nice custom built enclosure and being handled almost daily and he CHOWED 5 hoppers when we got him home. :)

In petstore defense, good people do circulate in and out of these places. My bf said when he bought my snake they all said goodbye to him and seemed REALLY happy he was finally going to a good home. They know me and know that i do as much research and preparing possible and have many other reptiles, ( yes i ramble on about my babies in person, not just on TeguTalk ...haha) also one employee is a ball python breeder and many of the workers at other stores have herp and other exotics experience...so not ALL are just in it for the paycheck.

yeah the one guy who showed me the tegu is like that he relaly cares about the animals and hes trying to work with the tegu but he hasnt done enough research because if he did he wouldnt have ordered one he told me he ordered it because he wanted a tegu of his own but couldnt afford it -.-

BatGirl1 said:
If you wait long enough I'm sure they will end up lowering the price like they did with my carpet python. . . Unfortunately you'll have to 'undo ' whatever the poor care has done once you aquire him. I am dealing with a ravenous beast who attacks my (gloved) hand with ferocity. Haha. I was just today considering not wearing gloves to 'see ' if he(she) will get used to me better without gloves. HOWEVER I'm not entirely on board with getting my hands chewed up by a crazy carpet python... haha. Ugh. I may just have to 'bite the bullet ' and try though. How bad can it 'really ' hurt? (Anyone...?) :/

i got bit by a corn snake and a python
it feels like.. a piercing i think the initial shock is what hurts the most and itbleeds alot! but that could just be me personally id try to avoid getting bit it does hurt pretty bad

Tannaros

BatGirl1 said:
I may just have to 'bite the bullet ' and try though. How bad can it 'really ' hurt? (Anyone...?) :/

I've only ever been bitten once by a 5.5 or 6' coastal carpet. It really didn't hurt - the wound after just bled quite a bit (I believe their teeth have small serrations?). The more painful part was the bruising that came after the initial bite.

The actual painful snake bite I have experienced was from a 9' retic. Must have been having a bad day and decided to wrap and sink its teeth as far as they would go. Again, the initial bite wasn't as painful as the healing process.

I don't deal with any hots as my general clumsiness would certainly spell my death.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Mine I haven't measured yet because it coils around my hand for dear life as soon as i lift it from the cage...haha. i know it isn't 'too ' old. Um...i'd venture to guess maybe 2 ft or... maybe more... ugh. It's really hard to tell yet. Maybe I'll try and get a measurement next time. I try to hold it daily...with gloves though. And it struck REPEATEDLY at the gloves, mouth open. And once grabbed onto the thumb. So... i know i shouldn't be so darn pansy-ish and just face the music, good or bad. And like my bf said, do I want a 7ft snake that I'm afraid to handle? Nope... :/

Tannaros

BatGirl1 said:
So... i know i shouldn't be so darn pansy-ish and just face the music, good or bad. And like my bf said, do I want a 7ft snake that I'm afraid to handle? Nope... :/

If you want to measure but it wraps a lot you can always just string them. Run a piece of string down the spine around the coils and you can get a rough estimate without having to man handle it. I would probably just give an eyeball measurement for the head rather than try and put string on their face.

Very true. Usually the anticipation and fear of being bit is much worse than the actual bite. I would suggest if you do immediately envision a bite commencing, try and avoid your wrist and go for your forearm instead. I mean, cause lightning reflexes of bite location placing is totally reasonable. It just works better avoiding your tendons in my experience.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
A bit ago i used the "stick method " to handle my jcp. I let him coil and wrap on the makeshift hook, ( a half curtain rod i modified so no sharp edges) . Then i sat with him, gloveless, and let him check out my arm, shirt and hand on his own. He explored without biting or even striking. I was tense, but kept taking deep breaths. Haha. I just have to try to 'pretend ' he didn't attack my gloved hand like he did, and I'm just starting from square one. If I do this daily, his trust will come then so will my confidence I'm sure :)

Mindy5682

To BFB353, hope I got that right, the guy that found the igs in the dumpster promotes himself as the Wichita Falls reptile rescue I live in Wichita falls and he is an evil, sick man! He injects animals with things that will kill humans just to watch them die. On that occasion he had actually been given the ig 3 days before buy petco because it was sick and he daid he wanted to care for it and got into an argument with the manager and threatened to kill her, she tried taking legal action, so he took the ig and placed it in the dumpster. There are quite a few rescues and other individuals trying to get him shut down on fraud and animal cruelty, he claims to have permits and licenses that are fake, to gain donations, grants and unwanted animals, im not agreeing or disagreeing with this petcos actions because ive called out a few animals showing them they weren't being cared for properly or needed medical attention, but am saying in this case this guy made fraudulent accusations, and placed the ig in the dumpster himself, ive personally not seem the video on YouTube ill actually looking it up when I get home, so dont quote me but have been told by multiple ppl, he used very offensive and vulgar language and I was told if u watch at the end he actually throws the ig back into the dumpster and then throws boxes back in to it, the ig, I was told was in a plastic bag with a twist tie on it and inside of a box like they would had gotten worms or other feeders in and he left it in the bag and placed it back into the box actually chunking it back into the dumpster then throwing other boxes back in on top of it!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029