• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

My Savannah

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Here are some pics of my Savannah

Savannah2.jpg

Savannah3.jpg

Savannah1.jpg

jdpFL

Wow....lol. Same size as mine almost, and they are about the same age! Cool. Mine is er, well, wider....don't want him to get too fat but omg can he eat! Little piggy!

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I may have already asked this, but what do you feed yours? Mine get crickets and dubias.

jdpFL

Crickets, ground turkey dusted, boiled egg as a limited mix in....with shells....once in a while. We live in the country and use no pesticide in our home, so sometimes we collect house spiders for him....LOVES those. We want dubias but they are illegal here. Wish we had them. We feed a mainly invertebrate diet for him, the rest is only on rare occasion. He likes soft bodied crickets....will eat 25 at one time.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have a dubia colony so he gets mostly those about 25 a day. I go get crickets about 2-3 Times a week and I get either 50 or 60 and he eats just about all of them.

jdpFL

Wow! I'm so jealous of your dubia colony. Sigh. We have every insect known to man in FL, what's one more? I'd rather have them here than the nasty palmetto bugs we have, lol.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
There are a few roach species you can have in Florida, I'm not sure which ones though.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Wow, he looks larger in the pics,especially from my phone, can't wait till mines get's larger. My sav has been on a cricket,worm and roach diet. I'm not doing gt or rodents with him. I really want to try locust and horn worms, but i have no clue where to get them.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
:p Cute,.. Savannah's were the first lizard that I wanted. I was watching a movie or documentary when I was younger, that had a belly dancer on stage with a Savannah. I couldn't care less about what she was doing,.. I wanted what she was holding lol.

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Mine's is like 9-10" this is a rough guess from looking at him, he never stays still enough for me to really get a good measurement. I'd hate to man handle him just to get measurements, and he bites and locks now. He's like the exact opposite of my tegu, with time he seems to be getting much more aggressive. He's like three months i think.

Next expo i plan to go to is in jauanry, i always see the horn worms, but rarely ever find locust, idk if it's just me.

jdpFL

That's cute, our savys are stair steps...hatched about a month apart, and growing at about the same rate. James said his is 14, mine is 12, yours is 10. Lol...will be cool to track their growth and progress! Mine just learned to tail whip. I think I was excited like my kids first steps...lol! Won't be cute when he's grown. It was my fault, I startled him. Otherwise he's afraid of everything and sees my hand as a safe place. So far. Ha.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
jdpFL, here are the 2 species of roach that you can have in FL....Blaberus discoidales and Blaberus Craniifer.

I don't know when mine hatched, I just know I got it in May I believe and it was about a month or two old from what I was told.

jdpFL

Thanks very much, James! Hubby and I had considered discoids. It's just so nice that dubia don't smell bad, don't fly, don't climb. I appreciate you researching it for me.

My sav was hatched probably end of May. Our cousin, who is a BP breeder, picked it up at an expo for his daughter, but it was more care and work than he originally thought, once he did the research. So he gave him to us...and he has quickly stolen my heart.

I have to get some kind of insect colony going...he shouldn't be having the eggs and turkey probably.

Just read the post about how to choose an active, defensive sav at an expo...my cousins daughter picked the tiniest, quiet, runt....because she thought it was cute. (she's three...lol) so, needless to say, I'm tickled he's doing so well thus far.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't know anything about those 2 species of roach, but it is definitely worth looking into.

Size isn't really a factor, and the fact it was quiet at a show isn't surprising as they don't have proper heat on them. Monitors are one of the hardest reptiles to buy because they rarely show any symptoms of health problems until it is too late.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu