• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

my tegu gets pissy outside.

Jer723

5 Year Member
hey guys my red tegu. tico. is very hand tame inside. lovable sweet affectionate a real good gu. and today i brought himoutside for the first time. he is about a year old im guessing. but i got the harness on him today and figured weed catch some real rays. and he sits outside with me for about 2 minutes and then he went balistic and started gaaping at me and hissing. once i pulled him back into the house, he was fine letting me hold him and sitting on my shoulder giving me kisses. lol why do u think he acted like this. id eventually like to take him outside to enjoy some real uv. will it just take some time to get used to? i really dont wanna get bit lol. thanks guys

Jerry

VenomVipe

5 Year Member
I have realized this with any herp. i think that it is the real uv that make them excited and causes their intincts t really kick in. But that is just a guess.

AWD247

5 Year Member
I think its a combination of being new to the harness and specially outdoor, Its a completely different thing for him to learn, my thought would be them being used to a specific enclosure/ size of freedom, comfort/smell etc.
Then being put in this endless openess.. new smells, new visions, then being restricted by a new harness, IDK maybe m wrong or looking into it too much but im sure for him it was alot to take in all at one time.

Like you said once he was in, and in your normal comfort he was fine.

MIKE-ZILLA

5 Year Member
Its the UVA rays. UVA promotes natural behaviors in reptiles. but you can still have an outdoor tegu thats pretty tame it just takes time. im having the same problem 3 weeks ago I moved mine to an outdoor enclosure. when i walk up to the cage he runs and hides most of the time. and when he doesnt hide he puffs up and high steps around the enclosure.We just gotta be patient. I would keep taking him out but keep him in a confined area(tub ect )and interact with him there.

GOT_TEGUS

5 Year Member
Jer723 said:
hey guys my red tegu. tico. is very hand tame inside. lovable sweet affectionate a real good gu. and today i brought himoutside for the first time. he is about a year old im guessing. but i got the harness on him today and figured weed catch some real rays. and he sits outside with me for about 2 minutes and then he went balistic and started gaaping at me and hissing. once i pulled him back into the house, he was fine letting me hold him and sitting on my shoulder giving me kisses. lol why do u think he acted like this. id eventually like to take him outside to enjoy some real uv. will it just take some time to get used to? i really dont wanna get bit lol. thanks guys

Jerry

Jerry He got the call of the wild fresh air Sun :-D wanted to go WILD :-D

I would keep gettin him used to the harness inside first and then take him out.

JD

Jer723

5 Year Member
so im guessing just to keep trying with him, and see if he gets used to me being outside with him. or maybe even justwalking him with the harness around the house?

throneofjade

5 Year Member
Yeah just get him used to the harness than try outside again. Or you can put him in a tub (where he can't get out) and you can place the tub outside.

GOT_TEGUS

5 Year Member
Jer723 said:
so im guessing just to keep trying with him, and see if he gets used to me being outside with him. or maybe even justwalking him with the harness around the house?

right gettin used to the harness and walking with the GU in the house is the safest place .

Jer723

5 Year Member
ok im gonna try that. i will walk around the house with him on the harness for him to get used toit and then once he calms down ill try going outside. maybe erven just take him onj the sunporch to get an idea of the size that he can roam. do you think i should do this?

Two Bananas Marinade

5 Year Member
Does being in a covered enclosure and then the open sky have anything to do with it? I know Blender is ok outside until say a helicopter flies over. he is in a aquarium rt now that he can see out on all sides.

GOT_TEGUS

5 Year Member
Two Bananas Marinade said:
Does being in a covered enclosure and then the open sky have anything to do with it? I know Blender is ok outside until say a helicopter flies over. he is in a aquarium rt now that he can see out on all sides.

flight reponse hatchlings especially are aware of the surroundings. anything above them they think predator like hawks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pags1029